Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY

This is the first video of the new serie in my channel that is about metal melting. We can learn here how to make a homemade metal foundry that works with propane. In the future i will try first to melt in this foundry aluminum and later copper and bronze.
    YOU CAN WATCH THE CONSTRUCTION HERE:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f101.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f102.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f103.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f104.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f106.jpg  

HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f107.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f108.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f109.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f110.jpg   HOW TO MAKE A STRONG METAL FOUNDRY-f111.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 12, 2021), dubbby (Jan 11, 2021), Jon (Jan 11, 2021), kess (Jan 11, 2021), marksbug (Jan 11, 2021), rlm98253 (Jan 11, 2021), sossol (Jan 17, 2021), tiger carpenter (Jan 11, 2021)

Thanks
    I have a old 60 gallon compressor tank I want to cut the top off of and do this to so I can cast some heads and some cylinders for my air cooled vw/porsche stuff. im not sure where to get the brick.perhaps I should ask the local clay products place ( brick yard/seller) I was wondering if fire place bricks work for this. and what mud to use?.I reckon Ill watch this vid and see!!!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    how long does it take to preheat this foundry until it's ready to melt the aluminum?
    I saw similar designs based on the electric heater, and it took 1 hour to heat it up!

I hope the gas based foundry cuts the preheating time to few minutes.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mariost! We've added your Foundry to our Forging and Casting category,
    as well as to your builder page: mariost's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger carpenter View Post
    how long does it take to preheat this foundry until it's ready to melt the aluminum?
    I saw similar designs based on the electric heater, and it took 1 hour to heat it up!

I hope the gas based foundry cuts the preheating time to few minutes.
    Depends of the dimention of the object. If for example we have tins you need about 5-7 to begin to melt. Then you put inside more tins that are melting almost immediately.If the object is more thick you need more time for the melting to begin.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Jan 14, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    I have a old 60 gallon compressor tank I want to cut the top off of and do this to so I can cast some heads and some cylinders for my air cooled vw/porsche stuff. im not sure where to get the brick.perhaps I should ask the local clay products place ( brick yard/seller) I was wondering if fire place bricks work for this. and what mud to use?.I reckon Ill watch this vid and see!!!
    Same here. I picked up a free compressor just for this sort of project. It has holes rusted in the bottom, and no motor, so no one wanted it. I have the refractory cement and some of the fittings.

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information