Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to use a sticky pin.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

How to use a sticky pin.

Hi All
    This short video shows the principal of using a sticky pin to position the spindle over the work piece. This is a very quick and simple method I use, mainly on the drill but works just as well on the milling machine.
    Thank you again for taking to view my posts
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Harvey Melvin Richards (Feb 1, 2018), jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 2, 2018), Seedtick (Feb 1, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Feb 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We call them "Wigglers", but otherwise used identically.
    I find bringing the pin to center with two fingers works for me, touching nails of index and middle finger creating a Vee. The fingernails touch at sort of a 90` angle to each other, once about midpoint of the shaft to reduce the wild swings, then at point.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018), thehomeengineer (Feb 2, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Spindle Centering Method to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We call them "Wigglers", but otherwise used identically.
    I find bringing the pin to center with two fingers works for me, touching nails of index and middle finger creating a Vee. The fingernails touch at sort of a 90` angle to each other, once about midpoint of the shaft to reduce the wild swings, then at point.
    I knew there was something I was missing out on with my calloused hands. The idea of being able to make my fingernails touch is foreign to me and mine are usually long enough to use as screwdrivers. I can just make the edges of my thumbnail touch 3 of the other fingers forget about reaching the nose of ear cleaning fingernail.
    If I use my other hand I can just bend the fore finger enough so the nail of the middle can touch the top of the index but I have to use both hands to make my fingers cross passed me by at a very young age from swinging a hammer on an anvil.
    I just pinch the wigglers between thumb and forefinger to stabilize them.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Wiggler and various stems or points

How timely.. I had this tool in Dad's tool box and thought he called it a Wiggler and I knew it had something to do with finding center.
    I had always used the common edge finders that you find today with the cylinder on the working end. Now I have a tool designed to find a line!
    A few days ago while working on my clamps I actually used it to indicate an edge. Not sure if that was proper use but it worked.
    First find one edge by getting the needle centered with the fingers. I had the depth just deep enough to have the taper on the point touch the edge of the part. Touch the edge of the part by moving the mill table and zero the DTI. Moved it to the other edge without changing the height and found that edge. Divided by 2 and found the center. Worked great.

Thanks for the demo Homeengineer.

Now if I only knew how to use the stems with the ball on both ends.

Here is a picture.
    Note the sleeve on the housing. The housing is cracked and it was repaired with the sleeve.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use a sticky pin.-img_1568b-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by jjr2001; Feb 3, 2018 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi JR
    In the photo the bottom bent piece is a mount for your DTI clock to attach to, the two diameters are standard fitting diameter for the clamps. The middle one is an edge finder for getting in to small places, you need to run the spindle between 600/700rpm and as you bring it into contact with the edge of the work piece it will straighten until running true then as you just go over centre it will flick off. The spindle at this point is half the edge finder away from centre/edge of work piece. Move half the diameter of the finder (small diameter) and you have now set a datum for that edge. I am away this weekend but I will do you a video on using edge finders to clarify this explanation when I get back.
    The Home Engineer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Excellent info thank you homeengineer. Now I have a new (old) tool to use.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers, JR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Feb 3, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi JR
    As you are probably aware I have just got in to doing these videos. I trust the site and its members are happy for me to post the videos as they are not actually homemade tools? I guess if they were unhappy I would have been told?
    The Home Engineer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi JR
    As you are probably aware I have just got in to doing these videos. I trust the site and its members are happy for me to post the videos as they are not actually homemade tools? I guess if they were unhappy I would have been told?
    When I post about how to do something, as opposed to an actual homemade tool, I put the post in the "Tool Tips and Tricks" sub-forum. Keeping tool and use-of-tool separated makes sense to me.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 3, 2018), jjr2001 (Feb 3, 2018), thehomeengineer (Feb 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Feb 4, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hi Homeengineer, I don't look in the other forums too often. I hang out here so posting your items here, for me, works great.
    I have noticed the the administrators will move posts that fit in another forum that they have as necessary.
    Tool tips and trick's is a forum I will start watching since many tool uses either commercial or home built could be posted there first.

Cheers, JR

Well now that got me thinking. I just checked all of the moved items from the homemade tools forum and all of the moved items were
    moved to the must read forum. So looks like if it is posted here it stays here. I will still start checking the tips and tricks forum for new ideas....

Double Cheers, JR
    Last edited by jjr2001; Feb 3, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Feb 3, 2018)

Thread Information