Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Human slingshot - GIF

Thanks
    It seems to me that the video frame rate chaged drastically while the slingshot was shooting, probably to dusguise a splice and a switch. No human was shot out of the slingshot.

And no, just because it is an arabic commercial/stunt it does not mean a person is expendable. This repeated rhetoric is getting old and is quit offensive, really.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by FEM2008 View Post
    It seems to me that the video frame rate chaged drastically while the slingshot was shooting, probably to dusguise a splice and a switch. No human was shot out of the slingshot.

And no, just because it is an arabic commercial/stunt it does not mean a person is expendable. This repeated rhetoric is getting old and is quit offensive, really.
    I imagine you have not spent 10 years over there as I have. Expats unless an engineer or a skilled trades person or another type of professional, are in some of the countries considered 4th class people, while they might not toss them off a building for entertainment, they don't go out of their way to insure the health and safety of them either. I know of at least 3 countries where it is not even considered against the law to run over someone, anyone for that matter on their highways, and just keep driving as though nothing happened as long as there was something that resembled a barrier or fence on both sides of the highway where they were trying to cross. But it is a whole different matter if they were workers or a stranded motorist, if you hit someone and don't stop you will be getting a visit at your home and hauled straight to prison

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    I'm gonna say they missed the bullseye.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I imagine you have not spent 10 years over there as I have. Expats unless an engineer or a skilled trades person or another type of professional, are in some of the countries considered 4th class people, while they might not toss them off a building for entertainment, they don't go out of their way to insure the health and safety of them either. I know of at least 3 countries where it is not even considered against the law to run over someone, anyone for that matter on their highways, and just keep driving as though nothing happened as long as there was something that resembled a barrier or fence on both sides of the highway where they were trying to cross. But it is a whole different matter if they were workers or a stranded motorist, if you hit someone and don't stop you will be getting a visit at your home and hauled straight to prison
    17 years in that region, and some in others, and no I, I have not seen any laws that permit running someone over.

There are definitely human rights abuses in the Gulf countries no doubt, and if you are rich and connected, then you can buy yourself out of anything. And unfortunately, there are human rights abuses everywhere, including here in the US. I have seen people hauled away to jail over there, but I have never seen anyone executed by police for having an illegal air freshener in there car either.

But the fact of the matter is that, for the majority of lay people, they are very similar around the world. They love there children the same, they worry about getting food on the table the same. They have the same fears and anxieties, and for the most part are friendly and hospitable. Quite often, we only get to see the negatives in some countries and believe that how it is all the time and that it applies to all people. Comments seems to follow the same pattern. But, if anyone bothers to look inward, than you that no country or race is immune from the same problems and human rights abuses. All you have to do is look and see how many homeless, sick and neglected veterans we have here in the US. That is a crime by itself.

As someone who was born in third world country, and and have seen seen the abuses the human rights abuses and genocides committed by first world countries first hand, yes, it gets old and offensive to keep listening to the bull propaganda. If I wanted to, I do go join a extreme political forum.

Don't bother replying, as I won't read it!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FEM2008 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 31, 2022), hemmjo (Feb 1, 2022), Karl_H (Jan 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by FEM2008 View Post
    17 years in that region, and some in others, and no I, I have not seen any laws that permit running someone over.

There are definitely human rights abuses in the Gulf countries no doubt, and if you are rich and connected, then you can buy yourself out of anything. And unfortunately, there are human rights abuses everywhere, including here in the US. I have seen people hauled away to jail over there, but I have never seen anyone executed by police for having an illegal air freshener in there car either.

But the fact of the matter is that, for the majority of lay people, they are very similar around the world. They love there children the same, they worry about getting food on the table the same. They have the same fears and anxieties, and for the most part are friendly and hospitable. Quite often, we only get to see the negatives in some countries and believe that how it is all the time and that it applies to all people. Comments seems to follow the same pattern. But, if anyone bothers to look inward, than you that no country or race is immune from the same problems and human rights abuses. All you have to do is look and see how many homeless, sick and neglected veterans we have here in the US. That is a crime by itself.

As someone who was born in third world country, and and have seen seen the abuses the human rights abuses and genocides committed by first world countries first hand, yes, it gets old and offensive to keep listening to the bull propaganda. If I wanted to, I do go join a extreme political forum.

Don't bother replying, as I won't read it!
    I really hope you do read the reply as many agree with your comments.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

FEM2008 (Feb 1, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanks for the thanks everyone and particularly, Frank!

Thanks
    You can see immediately that this is a fake video. You should always go with your first instinct on these kinds of videos. Your subconscious immediately says something is off and not right with what you are seeing. That is because your brain knows what it is seeing is not behaving correctly to natural laws. Our brains have survival instincts that recognize patterns. And this video does not follow any of those patterns.
    1st, the path that the guy is flying does not conform to the laws of physics. It should be an arched path not a straight line. Even a long-range bullet would have a bigger arc at that distance.
    2nd, in order to project a person hard enough to fly that distance would most likely kill them or injure them very badly and also very likely they would be unconscious.
    3rd, Just look at the size of the construction that put on the target building. Even if it were real and the guy was real, the energy he would be hitting that net with would be so much leverage it would likely bend that structure. And the anchor system would likely not be strong enough, it is an existing building so a retro fit would have to be done, the top floor of building is not built the same as the lower floors. The top floor is not load bearing.
    4th, if it were a real structure and if all of the above were real. The energy required to stop the guy would kill him from the stop. It would take a very large distance to slow his velocity without killing him. That configuration would not have enough elasticity to do that, no matter how elastic that net is. It just simply does not have enough in that configuration.
    5th, there was no windage adjustment in his flight path. In real life that altitude would have a heck of a cross wind. You can even hear the wind blowing in the video. So, the projectile (guy) would also have a sideways curved path. Even if that was a bullet it would have had a large windage adjustment. I saw zero curve to his flight path!
    Last edited by mccwho; Feb 3, 2022 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Stupid is as stupid does, and that was stupid.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information