Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hydraulic Boat Jacks

Thanks

Iliketobuild's Tools

Hydraulic Boat Jacks

I'm in the process of completing a 31' Lake Michigan cruiser made of 5086 marine grade aluminum. It has been an excellent journey so far requiring numerous extra tools that I had to make for the fabrication. One necessity (if you don't have a large crane) is some method of lifting the boat so the trailer can be moved into place for fitting. Since I wanted to build a custom trailer I decided I needed to build the jacks to lift the boat. Commercial jacks are quite expensive, and rightly so, there is a lot of work and expense to make them. I figured I could fabricate a set which was a compilation of the best commercial designs. The pictures below are the jacks I built. I've substantially increased the thickness and size of some of the members to make them sturdier. The main post is 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" steel tube, 1/4" wall. The bases are 3/4" steel plate. The hydraulic jack boxes are 1/4 steel tig welded for strength. The rollers which ride along the support posts are 1 1/2" steel with bronze oilite bushings inside for bearings. Each jack is equipped with an 8 ton long stroke hydraulic jack from Northern Tool. The jacks have worked flawlessly, easily picking up a 7,000 boat like it wasn't even there. I had the jack assemblies hot dip galvanized to make them weather resistant in case they had to be left outside. All in, I built them for about a third of the cost of commercial models.

Hydraulic Boat Jacks-20151207_105210.jpg

Hydraulic Boat Jacks-20151207_120503.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iliketobuild For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 14, 2018), Jon (Dec 15, 2015), kbalch (Dec 15, 2015), Paul Jones (Dec 15, 2015), rossbotics (Aug 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Those jacks look great! Really well-made and obviously up to the task. We'll get them added to the site shortly.

As a boat homebuilder, you might be interested in perusing our companion site BoatBuilds.net - lots of great projects and ideas in there…

Have you got a website for the project? I'd love to follow along with your progress.

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Iliketobuild's Tools
    Ken, not sure if the last message was sent. I don't have a website but I do have lots of build pictures. Am going to be installing the windows and electrical work this spring.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Was going to mention BoatBuilds.net too. Three boat tools posted today; well done sir!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Iliketobuild! We've added your Hydraulic Boat Jack to our Jacks and Lifts category, as well as to your builder page: Iliketobuild's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Mr. Ililetobuild do you have the plans of your jack for sale? I’m interested.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman777 For This Useful Post:

mcaleese12345 (Jul 5, 2020)

Thanks
    Hi ,How can I have plans to use or my boat this great project?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information