I came up with the idea that I may be able to improve the stopping power of my old Ford F350 diesel if I were to scrap the vacuum booster for a hydro boost The vacuum on a diesel is derived from a small engine driven pump the hydro boost gets its power from the steering pump.
My vacuum pump is weak but still functions well enough for the Heat and Ac controls also the brake booster is as old as the truck (1993), so I imagine it could use replacing as well. I get 1 solid application then if I let off the brakes and have to reapply it is strong leg only brakes sometimes I almost have to try and pull the steering wheel off while attempting to stand on the brakes. Not a very safe situation if I am not expecting it. I priced a new booster between 60 and 80 bucks not too bad. then the vacuum pump 90 to 140 again not terribly expensive but I would still have the same old system that has dogged every pickup I have ever owned not enough power to the brakes when you need it most.
All of the newer trucks use the hydro boost so there must be something to it even the ones old enough to still have rear drum brakes moved away from vacuum years ago.
I happen to have a hydro boost off of a 2 ton Chevy step van.
Why not use that instead of buying for now I could buy a new hydro boost for around $275.00 but why spend money that I may not need to spend
The first thing I noticed that I would have to change the mount from a 90 degree to a straight but it required a 1 78" 6 inch deep square socket to get the mount nut off
I didn't have one. So this is what I did
First I located a piece of 1/4" wall 2" sq tubing to make the die and a piece of 2 3/8" od Oilfield tubing because it ia made of better steel than 2" pipe
I ground the tubing down to size then plug welded the center for strength then cut it to about 1 /12" long for my sizing die
Then I heated the end of of the pipe and squared the end with the die
As you can see the 1 7/8" square sizing die and the socket worked great
I couldn't locate a sacrificial 1'2 or 3'4" drive socket to weld in the open end of the socket but my large channel lock pliers served well enough as the handle