Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hydroboost mounting nut socket

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Hydroboost mounting nut socket

I came up with the idea that I may be able to improve the stopping power of my old Ford F350 diesel if I were to scrap the vacuum booster for a hydro boost The vacuum on a diesel is derived from a small engine driven pump the hydro boost gets its power from the steering pump.
    My vacuum pump is weak but still functions well enough for the Heat and Ac controls also the brake booster is as old as the truck (1993), so I imagine it could use replacing as well. I get 1 solid application then if I let off the brakes and have to reapply it is strong leg only brakes sometimes I almost have to try and pull the steering wheel off while attempting to stand on the brakes. Not a very safe situation if I am not expecting it. I priced a new booster between 60 and 80 bucks not too bad. then the vacuum pump 90 to 140 again not terribly expensive but I would still have the same old system that has dogged every pickup I have ever owned not enough power to the brakes when you need it most.
    All of the newer trucks use the hydro boost so there must be something to it even the ones old enough to still have rear drum brakes moved away from vacuum years ago.
    I happen to have a hydro boost off of a 2 ton Chevy step van.
    Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_134750b.jpg
    Why not use that instead of buying for now I could buy a new hydro boost for around $275.00 but why spend money that I may not need to spend
    The first thing I noticed that I would have to change the mount from a 90 degree to a straight but it required a 1 78" 6 inch deep square socket to get the mount nut off
    Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_150930bb.jpg
    I didn't have one. So this is what I did
    First I located a piece of 1/4" wall 2" sq tubing to make the die and a piece of 2 3/8" od Oilfield tubing because it ia made of better steel than 2" pipe
    I ground the tubing down to size then plug welded the center for strength then cut it to about 1 /12" long for my sizing die
    Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_150938bb.jpg Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_153926bb.jpg Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_154819bb.jpg
    Then I heated the end of of the pipe and squared the end with the die
    Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_160943bb.jpg Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_162155b.jpg
    As you can see the 1 7/8" square sizing die and the socket worked great
    I couldn't locate a sacrificial 1'2 or 3'4" drive socket to weld in the open end of the socket but my large channel lock pliers served well enough as the handle
    Hydroboost mounting nut socket-20170331_162507bb.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 31, 2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Hydroboost Nut Socket to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I came up with the idea that I may be able to improve the stopping power of my old Ford F350 diesel if I were to scrap the vacuum booster for a hydro boost... Otherwise it is strong leg only brakes sometimes I almost have to try and pull the steering wheel off while attempting to stand on the brakes.
    Alternative Fred Flintstone braking system comes to mind, but steering wheel must remain attached. Hydroboost seems appropriate, Why isn't this factory standard? Judging gross tonnage you hauled of late, hopefully or good thing your move was over flat plains.

REVERSE wrinkle-walls, 16 ply no less. Now that's a visual if there ever was.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 2, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I agree with the Fred Flinstone braking LOL
    IN Dec 2014 I messed up and bought 3 machines that were located in MI Wuk Village Ca. A friend of mine heard that I wa going to Ca and asked me if I could pick up a 12 ft box trailer for him I was thinking that it couldn't weigh all that much and if I loaded things just right I should have room on my 20 ft trailer.
    So off to south los Angles we went.
    I loaded the box trailer as far forward as possible placing its hitch just inches behind the hitch of my trailer which has a 6 ft long tongue so This left me with a full 10 ft empty space Off to MI Wuk Ca we went which is up in the mountains near yosemite elevation above 4000ft Where we picked up the 26" la blond a 50 ton BOY injection mold machine and an EDM mill I shoe horned the La Blond in the bed of the beast and the rest on the trailer we were grossing 27,900.
    W dropped my trailer in Sacramento then headed for Vashon Wa for 5 weeks the Ford with the La Blond weighed 12,000 lbs. Leaving Vashon we added another 800 lbs of things a friend gave me. Back down to Sacremento to pick up the trailer then headed home But we had to go over Donner Pass because the south route around Lake Tahoe was closed due to road repairs This route now kept us between 6000 and at one time nearly 9000 ft elevation all the way to New Mexico.
    I was sure glad the trailer had good brakes.
    I may have to make a trip to Vashon again soon so I want BRAKES strong enough to make reverse wrinkle walls out of the 16 ply tires. if I need them.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well the Hydro boost chamber is installed and functioning as expected
    Better braking but still not great breaking but at least the amount of peddle pressure is not going to cause one to pull a hamstring

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 4, 2017)

Thread Information