Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: I made a stand for my bandsaw out of Aluminium Profiles.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Max Maker's Tools

I made a stand for my bandsaw out of Aluminium Profiles.

I am using a lot of these profiles for my daily work. I had some profiles left over that didn´t have the right dimensions, so I used them to make a bandsaw stand. It is something that you don´t notice when you have it around, but thats kinda the point. It frees up a lot of space on my workbench and is covenient to use.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Ban...nium-Profiles/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Maker For This Useful Post:

KickStart (Jan 2, 2019), PJs (Jan 3, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice little stand.

One suggestion when dealing with screw interference. If you use the inside tee slots to slide your bolt heads into for the cross members you can tighten them down with an Allen wrench Ran all the way through the extrusion where the bolts would have gone. Then you assemble the other members.

I like that you demonstrated the stiffness issue extrusion have it is one of the reasons I hate extrusions for critical machine parts. This however is a perfect application for extrusions.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Max Maker's Tools
    Yes, good idea, but you still need to drill a hole right?

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have many medium length (<3') extrusions from 80/20. It was used for so many areas of the factory where I worked for machine guards and secondary operation fixtures. I also have some metric pieces from another manufacturer. I didn't take company stock, but rather from the scrap bin. I was amazed at what they were throwing in the scrap bins, such as aluminum extrusion, stainless steel plate & shafts, and some c/r steel. Usually the hardware was high quality stainless, not the hardware store stuff.
    Anyway, I've used it and built with it many times. I have a few longer pieces. When I suspected one of my Harley frames was out of shape, I made a motorcycle frame alignment & squareness checker, with a long 4x4 section for the backbone. It was super rigid and showed the frame to be way worse than expected. I'm eventually going to resize it to use it under my Logan 200 lathe since I need a custom height stand (I'm in a wheelchair).
    I've seen large boat trailers built with similar aluminum extrusion, so it's very capable stuff. I believe I'm going to rebuild my motorcycle trailer with it, too.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Max Maker! We've added your Bandsaw Stand to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: Max Maker's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for sharing your build. I like the idea of the extrusion for this and the drawers are a simple quick idea too. Only thing I might have done differently is use Varathane on the beautiful birch ply. ~¿@ I have an old (early 50's) Craftsman King Seeley 12" in perfect shape and been wanting to build a jack-shaft arrangement so I can use it for metal and wood. The 80/20 type would be great for creating the supports under the saw for the motor and assembly of that, plus easy access.

I've used Bosch & 80/20 for all sorts of things back in the day, including 2 - 35' fully automated, precision drill machines. As you say it's easy to work with a myriad of hardware available and incredibly straight and rigid.

PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information