Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impact wrench chain support arm - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 14, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Such devices are quite useful to those of us who are aged, of small stature, infirm, et cetera. Fifty years ago, I wouldn't have had a problem with a tool like the one she's using directly, and preferred to avoid aids like hers. Now my back and neck are wrecked, my knees likewise, and my hips, both hips, are artificial due to the damage I've taken in those years. I've avoided further surgeries, but one day I'm going to be a much closer approximation of the Six Million Dollar Man than I am now. You young folks take care of your skeletons. You're likely to need them for a long time!

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 14, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Small stature or not how much would anyone like to bet that young lady had removed that tire broke it down and repaired it then remounted it before re installing it by herself?
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I would add to your bet that she COULD do that same job without the aid of the support. She just could not do it an many times in a day!!!!

And as WmR says, there is no sense wearing yourself out if you can avoid it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I would add to your bet that she COULD do that same job without the aid of the support. She just could not do it an many times in a day!!!!

And as WmR says, there is no sense wearing yourself out if you can avoid it.
    Yep its called work smarter not harder
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Any tool that will reduce fatigue, that is the risk of injury, without excessively diminishing efficiency is a good tool.

I had a friend who used a shovel with about a 4.5" X 6" spade for irrigating. Naturally, she was scorned and scoffed at by the bigger, tougher hands on the ranch for using a girly shovel. At the end of the day, she had irrigated more acres, more precisely than all the old hands, day after day. Yep, she used a tool that fit her and got 'er done.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Now my back and neck are wrecked, my knees likewise, and my hips, both hips, are artificial due to the damage I've taken in those years. I've avoided further surgeries, but one day I'm going to be a much closer approximation of the Six Million Dollar Man than I am now. You young folks take care of your skeletons. You're likely to need them for a long time!

Bill
    Geez Bill. Sounds like you've had a rough go. Do we need to make one of these chain things just to keep you upright?

Also there is a non-zero chance that I just bought the CNC machine that made your artificial hips. Are they titanium and were they made by Wright Medical between 2008 and 2020?

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Small stature or not how much would anyone like to bet that young lady had removed that tire broke it down and repaired it then remounted it before re installing it by herself?
    I wouldn't bet against her. My oldest sister rebuilds 350 ci (5.7L) chevy engines for fun, or so I've heard. She's not a little girl, but If I were you, I wouldn't get between her and anything she wants to do, either. I watched her mom fight my dad to a standstill more than once, and I figured if I was going to fight him I'd have to shoot him 4 or 5 time to even things up. NO WAY am I going to fight her mom or her. I'm crazy, but I am not stupid!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Geez Bill. Sounds like you've had a rough go. Do we need to make one of these chain things just to keep you upright?

Also there is a non-zero chance that I just bought the CNC machine that made your artificial hips. Are they titanium and were they made by Wright Medical between 2008 and 2020?
    My Right hip is 4.5lbs of Chrome-Moly steel, with a zirconia ceramic ball and HDPE sleeve for the ball in the joint. Left hip joint is about half the size, but still, IIRC, steel. No ceramic ball, AFAIK. I'd have to go dig deep to find the info on what they installed, and might not find it. Still works, that's all I'm worried about just now. If you ever want a seriously crazy project for your CNC machines, I really want a left-handed 1911 .45ACP pistol. The truly crazy part, of course is I want all the lettering of the marking reversed, as well.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    If you ever want a seriously crazy project for your CNC machines, I really want a left-handed 1911 .45ACP pistol. The truly crazy part, of course is I want all the lettering of the marking reversed, as well.
    I'm in Canada. I would go to jail for 700 years. 10,000 years if I shipped any gun parts across the border.

Thread Information