Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Improved clamps for third hand

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Improved clamps for third hand

Those cheap, import third hand holders are handy tools for holding bits in alignment to solder or glue. However, as with all tools, they have limitations.

The alligator clips can leave indentations in small parts; there is no adjustment of their holding force.

As the left hand image in this picture...

shows, the clips can not be adjusted to touch each other. While the resulting gap isn't a problem for many jobs, I have occasions when the combined length of the parts is less than the gap width.

To solve all these issues, I built some replacement clamps that take the place of the alligator clips. They're longer, as this picture...

shows so they can close to the point of touching. In addition they're built like tiny machinist clamps so the holding pressure is adjustable and the flat clamping surfaces don't mark the work. They open wider than alligator clips so can accept larger parts.

Construction is dead simple as the disassembled clamp in the foreground shows. The body is a simple turning, milling and tapping job. I had some already knurled aluminum knobs lying around so I force fit them onto 6-32 SHCSs to make clamp screws.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 31, 2019), Big-Pete (Oct 30, 2020), Dorn (Jan 31, 2019), Frank S (Jun 14, 2018), Harvey Melvin Richards (Jan 30, 2019), high-side (Jan 31, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 10, 2020), jjr2001 (Jun 14, 2018), Jon (Jun 14, 2018), MakeFix (Jun 15, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Feb 3, 2019), olmike (Jan 31, 2019), Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018), PJs (Jun 14, 2018), rlm98253 (Oct 12, 2018), rossbotics (Jun 15, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Nov 1, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 16, 2018), Tonyg (Oct 30, 2020), Tule (Jan 31, 2019), Zaakoc (Jun 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks Marv, I have owned several of those 3rd hand tools over the years sometimes they are great while other times not so much you just gave me an idea that would improve 1 that I have with damaged clips or for a larger unit.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools

Alligator clips

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The alligator clips can leave indentations in small parts; there is no adjustment of their holding force.
    If you have a couple of inches of silicone tubing like the kind used for nitro RC cars you can slip it over the jaws to help with the indentations.

Nice toolmaker's clamps. Much too nice for my $5 helping hands.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Third Hand Clamp Modification to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have on like that I bought at HF I wish they would be on a on / off magnetic base

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G.Paul For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Nov 1, 2018)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Marv has a machinist's upgrade, for those alligator clips. But I've had problems with that main/middle support bar rolling on me. I've tried roughing them up, but usually have to grind or file a flat spot - just to keep them in place. And when your hands shake as bad as mine do, anymore, they're handy as sliced bread. ��

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information