Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Improving the Horizontal Position Accuracy of a 4 x 6 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Improving the Horizontal Position Accuracy of a 4 x 6 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the 4 x 6 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw is a partially finished kit. Yes, it lops off bits of metal, but do you like the off-square cuts? If the saw’s accuracy meets your needs, don’t waste your time reading this article. But if you would like your cuts to be closer to square, I might be able to help you.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/HorizontalBandsawAlignment.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Sep 19, 2022), BrianW (May 19, 2020), Jon (May 19, 2020), Okapi (May 21, 2020), Seedtick (May 19, 2020), tesswes (May 25, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Horizontal Bandsaw Accuracy Modifications to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    snipped:
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the 4 x 6 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw is a partially finished kit. Yes, it lops off bits of metal, but do you like the off-square cuts? If the saw’s accuracy meets your needs, don’t waste your time reading this article. But if you would like your cuts to be closer to square, I might be able to help you.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick, the detail and order of remedies in your presentation equal the means of determining errors. I'd say anyone with the need for dependable cuts follow his process. Lengthy yes, proper instruction isn't just "do this, do that", but poses reasoning behind what is to be accomplished. Paying attention deposits information that can be re-utilized or re-imagined elsewhere.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (May 17, 2020)

Thanks
    Another winner - Thanks Rick!

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Great article Rick. I am going to save it for present and future reference.

One thing that I had noticed on my saw, which I believe is the same Grizzly model as yours, is that the biggest thing that effects accuracy is the saw blade. At first I tried using the blade furnished with the saw and a couple new ones that I purchased at the same time. They all were low quality blades, not the bi-metal ones that cost about two or four times as much. I quickly got tired of broken blades and tried some of the better quality (and more expensive) ones. It was night and day. Not only did the constant blade breakage dwindle down to less than 10% of the previous rate, but I found that the blades stayed sharp far longer and the sideways deflection that you discuss around page 28 also went away. My present blade is years old and still cuts straight.

I did have some problems with one of your alignment procedures and posted them on another thread. They may or may not matter much. I am going to find the time to do all or most of what you recommend here. All in all, it is a great piece. Thanks!
    Paul A.

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks Rick for your work, I've bought exactly the same last year and began to restore it in good working condition, modifying it for metric dimensions on the bearings supports for the blade for example, and making more ridgid support for the bearings, then very interested to read what you've made.
    Have a nice day.
    Pierre

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (May 23, 2020)

Thread Information