Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Indoor vertical farming - GIFs

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Indoor vertical farming - GIFs

Indoor vertical farming.

Previously:

FarmBot - CNC farming machine
    Balloon lifted farm field irrigation - GIF
    Greens harvester - GIF
    Mushroom harvesting machine - GIF
    Greenhouse roof roller - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 29, 2021), desbromilow (Apr 29, 2021), johncg (Apr 29, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 28, 2021), ROCA (May 4, 2021), Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    WOW! Hydroponics on steroids! Definitely a safer way to grow vegetables though, little to no chance of E. coli poisoning but you would have to protect the hydro source in case someone wanted to contaminate the plants.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Me gustaría tener mas información al respeto, por ejemplo como complementan la iluminación necesaria. Como es la circulación del agua y la aplicación de nutrientes a las plantas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCA View Post
    Me gustaría tener mas información al respeto, por ejemplo como complementan la iluminación necesaria. Como es la circulación del agua y la aplicación de nutrientes a las plantas.
    ---> I would like to have more information about it, for example how they complement the necessary lighting. As is the circulation of water and the application of nutrients to plants.

I wish I was multi-lingual, but since I am not, I use Bing Translator.

Ojalá fuera multilingüe, pero como no lo soy, uso Bing Translator.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    WOW! Hydroponics on steroids! Definitely a safer way to grow vegetables though, little to no chance of E. coli poisoning but you would have to protect the hydro source in case someone wanted to contaminate the plants.
    Hydroponics is not a new concept at all. Going vertical is gaining popularity. HOWEVER, it is not without health related risks. There are a lot of chemicals used that are much worse for us than e-Coli. There are many micro-organisms that affect plant growth that very easily get out of balance especially in such a "sterile" environment. I realize a lot of our produce already comes from places like that, and more will be produced that way in the furniture. Unfortunately when there is a decision to be made, too many times that decision places more value on profit than it does on public health.

A few of the major risks include; The environment is perfect for Salmonella growth. Many will choose much cheaper Non-Food-Grade plastics in construction. Pathogens can grow quickly out of control in the warm moist environment. Pests also love that environment.

A good old garden in the back yard or tub of dirt on the balcony of your uptown apartment grows better veggies.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Hydroponics is not a new concept at all. Going vertical is gaining popularity. HOWEVER, it is not without health related risks. There are a lot of chemicals used that are much worse for us than e-Coli. There are many micro-organisms that affect plant growth that very easily get out of balance especially in such a "sterile" environment. I realize a lot of our produce already comes from places like that, and more will be produced that way in the furniture. Unfortunately when there is a decision to be made, too many times that decision places more value on profit than it does on public health.

A few of the major risks include; The environment is perfect for Salmonella growth. Many will choose much cheaper Non-Food-Grade plastics in construction. Pathogens can grow quickly out of control in the warm moist environment. Pests also love that environment.

A good old garden in the back yard or tub of dirt on the balcony of your uptown apartment grows better veggies.
    Agreed, hydroponics is old tech but they've all but perfected this type of hydroponics. There's only been one potentially serious event and that was due to improper pond management for the water intake. With a flowing system like these vertical farms, growth of salmonella is not much of an issue. As far as what materials they use, that's closely controlled by availability of specialized equipment and materials specific to the industry. If you're a bathtub farmer, you're more likely to poison yourself unknowingly than to be poisoned from one of the newer vertical farm systems but, as with almost anything, the sheer scale of production increases the likelihood of an issue even with all the controls imposed by food safety regulations. All it takes is a rodent or bird in the wrong place and improper washing of your home grown produce and it's hello hospital!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thread Information