Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Introduce Yourself subforum closed - reasons why and research on our Intro subforum

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

Introduce Yourself subforum closed - reasons why and research on our Intro subforum

Just a quick note that I've shut down the Introduce Yourself subforum. I know we see such subforums frequently. In short: I couldn't correlate it with anything important on this site, and obligatory intros online are somewhat annoying anyway.

-I couldn't find a strong correlation between long-term retention (people coming back here for months) on this site and the posting of an introduction in our Introduce Yourself subforum. To contrast, long-term retention DOES correlate with viewing our hand-curated Best Homemade Tools subforum or viewing an ebook.

-I couldn't find a strong correlation between our top members (most posts, most tools, etc.) and the act of posting an introduction.

-We can tweak the forum software and various messages so that people are encouraged to introduce themselves; there are a variety of ways to do this. I remember at our peak we were running multiple such modifications, and getting 25+ introductory posts per day. The vast majority of those people did exactly what we encouraged them to do - introduced themselves - and then never reposted again.

So, at least for this forum:

-Can't demonstrate that posting an introduction makes one a more interested member.
    -Can't demonstrate that posting an introduction makes one post more.
    -Can't demonstrate that posting an introduction makes one post more tools.

Also:

-In their first post, people sometimes prefer to "introduce" something that they built, rather than introducing themselves.

-Socially obligatory introductions make perfect sense in physical meetings, especially in a real-world Community of Practice. The argument for formal introduction is much weaker in many online communities, and may largely just be some sort of vestigial meatspace-to-cyberspace social practice.

-We've shifted away from trying to boost mass registration numbers, to looking for good tool builders online and personally inviting them to post here.

-As we grow larger, I want to clean up all of the low-activity subforums.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Feb 5, 2019), olderdan (Feb 1, 2019), Paul Jones (Feb 3, 2019), rossbotics (Feb 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Sounds like a great idea Jon

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thread Information