Hi I have a background in general DIY skills including carpentry, metalwork, electronics and work in IT for my day job. I am also a technical volunteer for a charity call REMAP, and we make bespoke solutions for people with disabilities where no solution can be found in main stream stores. This not only makes their lives slightly easier but it also gives me great satisfaction when a project completes. I've created my own CNC machine using MDF , steel conduit and roller bearings and run it using MACH 3. I've recently added a set of probes to automatically set the work height, set the tool height and probe the sides or centres of holes etc. The parts for this built on my own design for a Delta type 3d printer. My first design for a 3d printer was built from ... again MDF, steel conduit and bearings and is the normal XYZ style but gave me the ability to create my own brackets and components for my Delta printer. One day I'll try to put the designs on thingy verse. I'm also a member of SMEE , the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers where I get access to several larger engineering machines if I need them, and also help and advice from our many members.
All the best
Andy