Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JM3 oil filter wrench Kickstarter

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    These comments inspired this latest post: Tracking tools with RFID technology . RFID is promising as anti-loss technology, but unfortunately less so as anti-theft; once a thief gets 50 feet away from the RFID reader, there's little you can do. We essentially need GPS technology to miniaturize and plummet in cost before commonplace items can be economically tagged and tracked. The new GPS trackers in dog collars are a good sign, but there's still a long way to go.

I didn't know new SnapOn tools had degraded in quality; bad news. I'm still mad about the thinning of Champion sweat pants.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Well I found a similar replacement for the filter wrench that I had for such a long time
    This one sounds like the steel strap in much shorter and they have added molded rubber grip to it but otherwise essentially the same shape. I think I could modify it to function the same if the body is as large as my old one
    JM3 oil filter wrench Kickstarter-steel_strap_oil_filter_wrench_60_120mm.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I haven't bought any snap-on tools in a long time. I pretty much quit using them because their finish became so micro smooth and slimed down to so much that only the pretty boy technicians with those tiny little girly hands wearing nitril gloves so they wouldn't ruin their manicures could grip them. I'll take my old Proto wrenches with their beefy rough finish that my calloused old hands can really get a grip on any day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 23, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    We all have our preferences and I do love my old Proto wrenches(which are nothing like what you find now, if you can even find them). Proto went downhill then dissapeared in the late 70's. I had a great SnapOn man who I did all kinds of deals with and he would go to the dent and scratch sales only the dealers could go to and pass the deals on to us. He also was really fair about warranty, so it made me think all the dealers were the same,NOT! When that dealer went away and another guy came in with his know it all attitude and high pressure sales I grew disenchanted. Then when I went to get a Philips screw driver warranted that one of shanks broke off and he said it was abused and wouldn't warrantee it I never even got on his truck again. Went to Mac and while I liked the dealer I was getting full up and couldn't keep him coming back as I was the only mechanic.

Ffwd almost 10yrs and another shop/SnapOn dealer and was going to warrantee a set of mini pliers (I'd worn the serrations on the jaws off) that are my favorite emergency all around tool. just picking up the new one I could tell it wasn't in the same class. Guy that worked with me and loved my little pliers of mine bought a new one and it broke in a week. Got another and it broke too. Got a refund, meanwhile mine are 30yrsld and still going strong. I'm going to have a fit if they break or dissapear.

Jon the RFID has been tossed around for quite a while and I didn't know they had gotten so small. While it certainly would be nice if it could somehow be referenced to each tool so those times the Geezer Brain Fog sets in and I know I have a tool, can see it in my noggin but for the life of me can't remember where it is, it would be great. But I know I'd never get around to cataloging everything, much less somehow attaching one to each tool. Then I'd be totally paranoid my wife would see the end of day 20,000 tools accounted for readout!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 24, 2017)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My wife used to tell me that she thought I owned more tools than all 4 or the tool dealers who frequented my place combined.
    I would simply tell her that I felt obligated to spend 50 to 100 dollars on each one of them every week or they might stop coming around
    When I was contracting for Caterpillar the Snap-on dealer made a special stop by the welding shop one day to tell me he was retiring soon and had a 55 gallon drum full of odd's and ends from busted up sets that corporate wouldn't redeem for him. I started pealing $100.00 bills out of my wallet until he smiled That drum must have weighed 6 or 700 lbs cheapest $400.00 I ever spent. I sold wrenches sockets screwdrivers pliers and 100's of other things at a flea market for months

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Wow, you scored and I bet those tools went like hot cakes at the flea market. We had a little funky flea market that I used to go to in the valley. It was always broken and weird junk, sometimes cheap and sometimes not. I was walking through as usual and saw the back of a toolbox and looked around and it was one of the old 50's or so SnapOn top and bottom boxes. I asked if could look through and the girl there said go ahead. Each drawer was chock full and totally neat with everything in racks. I was stunned. I looked at the the girl and asked how much(expecting at least $10k)and she said her grandma would be right back. It was her grandpa's tools. The woman came back and said she had just sold it and the guy went to get his truck. I asked how much did it go for and she said $200. Tears squirted out of my eyes involuntarily. 2 minutes earlier and I would have had to figured out some way to justify buying that somehow when we were flat broke. But I would have taken a rolling pin up the side of the head for that set.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 23, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I didn't know new SnapOn tools had degraded in quality; bad news. I'm still mad about the thinning of Champion sweat pants.
    Me too, thinning fabrics are an issue. Turns out, most concentrated at the waistband...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Just heard from the JM3 inventor Michael Gutierrez. He was recently granted the patent for his oil filter wrench.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information