Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Kerfing Saw

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools

Kerfing Saw

I had a couple of thin pieces of cherry that I wanted to rip in half so I made a tool to help me rip them accurately.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_front.jpg

I guess you'd call it a kerfing saw or something like that. It's made out of oak, about 200 mm long and about 90 mm high; the spacers and clamp pieces are 60 mm high. I've made spacers in a few different thicknesses; I'll probably make some more in due course - they're very easy to make. The 8 mm one has more dramatically rounded edges than the others as I'll generally use that as the outer clamp piece when using thinner spacers and it makes it more comfortable in the hand having rounded edges.

By combining multiple spacers, the kerfing saw can cut its mark up to 15 mm from the fence.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_end_view.jpg

The idea is that you fit a spacer about 1 mm thicker than the thickness of wood you want and then press the fence against the side of the wood while taking cuts all the way round the edge of the board. You then get a normal saw out and it's fairly easy to follow the pre-cut kerf.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_blade.jpg

It all started with this saw blade, which I spotted on ebay for £10 (someone had bought the wrong blade for their saw). I don't have the saw but I saw a potential use.

I snapped off the tang and drilled four holes in it - I was a bit worried about how easy it would be to drill, but it was quite straightforward.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_inside.jpg

This photo shows what it looks like inside the saw.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_first_try_close_up.jpg

This photo shows what the result looks like with a 9 mm thick bit of cherry and the 4 mm spacer.

Kerfing Saw-kerfing_saw_first_try_half_ripped.jpg

The saw then follows the cut very easily (this one was done as a test before I applied the finish or made the knurled brass knobs - hence the nuts and washers).

There are a few more photos on my website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/handtools/kerfingsaw

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Metalworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork
    Woodworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Al For This Useful Post:

billster (Jul 25, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Jul 22, 2021), Jon (Jul 21, 2021), rgsparber (Jul 21, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Dr.Al! We've added your Kerfing Saw to our Hand Saws category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dr.Al's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information