Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knee jack for my drill press

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Knee jack for my drill press

I have a couple floor standing drill presses neither are anything to write home about as far as being a precision piece of machinery.
    My larger one has a 4 inch diameter column 12 speeds vis belts 1 1/2HP #3 MT in a 2 1/4" spindle with an 18x18 square table While it has plenty or power to plunge drill a 1" diameter hole through 3" thick steel the stupid table is only held on with a single 3/4" bolt and a dog point set screw to lock it from tilting. Even when drilling small hole like 3/8" I can feel the table flex downward so I solved this once and for all today by standing a trailer jack under the table with a length of 2" pipe on top of the jack I can set the table at the height I want then crank the jack until it is tight against the bottom of the table this removed all deflection in the table even while plunging a 3/4" hole through several layers of 1/4" steel in the drill jig
    Knee jack for my drill press-20210427_154403dp.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 28, 2021), Scotty1 (Apr 28, 2021), Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Apr 28, 2021), Tuomas (Apr 28, 2021)

Thanks

Claudio HG's Tools
    I have a similar drill press, but with a slightly beefier table. However sometimes I feel the table flexes so I use an old scissor car jack with some wood blocks to rig it the very same way you used the trailer jack. Though your arrangement seems to be better than mine.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    A nifty trick, supporting with adjustable jack. I'm thinking a scaffold leveling screw, section of pipe, and that big wingnut can work too.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Knee jack for my drill press-drill-press-table-lift_1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have a couple floor standing drill presses neither are anything to write home about as far as being a precision piece of machinery.
    My larger one has a 4 inch diameter column 12 speeds vis belts 1 1/2HP #3 MT in a 2 1/4" spindle with an 18x18 square table While it has plenty or power to plunge drill a 1" diameter hole through 3" thick steel the stupid table is only held on with a single 3/4" bolt and a dog point set screw to lock it from tilting. Even when drilling small hole like 3/8" I can feel the table flex downward so I solved this once and for all today by standing a trailer jack under the table with a length of 2" pipe on top of the jack I can set the table at the height I want then crank the jack until it is tight against the bottom of the table this removed all deflection in the table even while plunging a 3/4" hole through several layers of 1/4" steel in the drill jig
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210427_154403dp.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	39373
    I used a similar solution on my old Craftsman drill press. That table has gotten heavier as I've gotten older.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_j For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Drill Press Knee Jack to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information