Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder

Supporting Member
    Thanks

garycullen's Tools

Knife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder

I made a Knife sharpener attachment for my 2 x 72 grinder. I got an ad sent to me for a Ken Onion knife sharpener (They have a video of it on Northern Tool) and my OCD kicked in so I decided to make one. I used a worn out 60 grit belt. It works like a charm. I only tried the 15 degree angle on a filet knife. (30 Degree total angle). I ran it through each side a few times and then used the inside of the belt as a strop.(Be very careful) It cuts paper like butter. I shaved my arm a little but it pulls. With the correct belt this will put a wicked edge on a knife. I wouldn't use it on an expensive knife but I have a drawer full of dull kitchen knives I going to sharpen up.Knife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1028.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1029.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1030.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1031.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1032.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1034.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1037.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1038.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1039.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1041.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1042.jpgKnife Sharpener Attachment for 2 x 72 Belt Grinder-img_1043.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to garycullen For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 23, 2022), BigDude (Oct 25, 2016), DuayneI (Sep 6, 2019), flyfr8rs (Sep 24, 2022), Gabe (Oct 25, 2016), high-side (Sep 6, 2019), johncg (Nov 23, 2022), Jon (Oct 21, 2016), lassab999 (Feb 25, 2023), Moby Duck (Oct 21, 2016), PJs (Oct 21, 2016), thoms_here (Nov 21, 2016)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Great idea and even greater idea to use the back of the belt as a strop. Perhaps a second belt turned inside out and fitted over the original belt would make stropping safer. (Rather than just turning the original belt over and running the abrasive side against the wheels and damaging them).

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

DuayneI (Sep 6, 2019), Jon (Oct 27, 2016), PJs (Oct 21, 2016), thoms_here (Nov 21, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

garycullen's Tools

Brilliant Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Great idea and even greater idea to use the back of the belt as a strop. Perhaps a second belt turned inside out and fitted over the original belt would make stropping safer. (Rather than just turning the original belt over and running the abrasive side against the wheels and damaging them).
    Thank you so much for the belt idea! Brilliant! I was just trying out the sharpener idea, but for the strop I was reaching inside the belt on the bottom and using the top for the other side so the edge wasn't going to dig in when it hit the splice.With your idea you could use the strop in the same position as sharpening and do each side safely by switching hands just like for sharpening. The belts wouldn't slip either because of the rough surfaces fighting each other. You could also use a green polishing compound and keep that belt combo just for stropping. They sell belts for that but their not cheap and I love using everything i can in the shop. I would use a 220 worn out belt for the sharpening and any worn out belt for the strop belt.Do you mind if I post elsewhere and use your idea?

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    No problem with you posting this idea elsewhere. That is what it is all about, helping each other with new ideas, some will be good and others not so good but lots of minds thinking about such things should help us to do things better. It had never occurred to me to use the back of a belt for a strop, thank you for that idea. Post a reply when you try it please.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

DuayneI (Sep 6, 2019)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    I am assuming that you machined your jig but yet another idea is that this would be a great project to make using a 3D printer. I don't have such a printer but those that do must surely be looking for worthwhile projects to print that aren't just useless toys.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 21, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

garycullen's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    No problem with you posting this idea elsewhere. That is what it is all about, helping each other with new ideas, some will be good and others not so good but lots of minds thinking about such things should help us to do things better. It had never occurred to me to use the back of a belt for a strop, thank you for that idea. Post a reply when you try it please.
    I will post again and Thanks again!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garycullen! We've added your Knife Sharpening Attachment to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: garycullen's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I really liked this project. I do woodcarving and my knives are nearly flat with the exception of a couple of brands. I am going to think about modifying this for my needs. Might include some magnets to hold the blades close to the guide but - need to figure out how to adapt this to my VS (now that I converted to a treadmill motor) HF 1" x 30" sander. Thanks for an interesting Winter project.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information