Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knife sharpening vice up-scaled

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled

As you might have seen I wanted to sharpen my BIG meat knives for the hunting season.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-small-small.jpg For the small knives it was a huge improvement

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-large-knife-small.jpg As can be seen for the LARGE knife it was not going to work.

So lets upscale it and add an improvement or 2.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-scaled-up.jpg Upscaled it by 50%. Used 25 x 5 flat bar. Kept the pre set angles at 20, 25 and 30 Dag. I dropped the 17 Dag as it is not needed for any of the BIG knives.

The big improvement was the use of a full size sharpening stone(100 x 50 x 25). I clamped it between 2 pieces of 25 x 25 x 3 angle iron and some 10mm round bar drilled and tapped on both sides. A piece of 6mm SS rod was welded to the one side to be perfectly in line with the flat of the angle iron. This is very important as when you set your stone in the clamp that plane has to be in line with this rod. One at the top is the one that comes with the kit.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-stones-compared.jpg

The stone has a coarse and a fine side, so you have to unbolt the stone clamp and turn the stone once you are done with the coarse side.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-coarse-fine-stone.jpg

and now with the whole lot assembled. Much more balanced.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-all-together.jpg

One of the improvement "I think" is to weld the pieces with the holes for the angles at an angle to be perpendicular to the 25 Deg plane. This will be the plane I use most of the time for his type of knife.

Knife sharpening vice up-scaled-perpendicular.jpg
    I can also still use the stones that came with the kit. There is a 1000 grit finishing stone which is excellent for that final polish.

So a nice sharpening system that used a stone you will find in most any garage/workshop.

After using it on a few knives I am thinking of adding a handle to the far side of the stone clamp with a guard for your hand, should the stone hook on something for some reason.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    If wondering how to set the knife in the clamp.

I want to have the clamping position as repeatable as possible otherwise you are going to have to create a new "edge" every time you sharpen the knife.

This is my process.

1) Stick a piece of masking tape from the tip of the knife to the cutting edge right at the handle.

2) Measure this distance minus 25mm for the clamp and divide by 2.

3) I then set the clamp as per those measurement (perfectly in the middle of the blade) and right on the edge of the masking tape.

This has been working pretty good for me over the last few years as I get the blade almost 100% in the same position every time.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Large Knife Vise to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information