Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe hand crank

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Lathe hand crank

Nothing beats a spindle hand crank for sneaking a thread up to a shoulder or locking the spindle while removing a stubborn chuck.

The aluminum cylinder is slip fit in the spindle bore. The cone nut, pulled in by the bolt, expands it like an expansion collet, and makes it grab the inside of the spindle. The crank arm is screwed to the expanding cylinder and has a rotating handle. It's especially long for lots of "command authority" torque.

and here's what it looks like all put together.

After these pictures were taken, an anti-rotation pin was added to the conical nut. Said pin rides in one of the expansion slots and prevents the cone-nut from turning as the bolt is torqued to expand the collet.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Sep 14, 2015), nevadablue (Sep 14, 2015), Paul Jones (Oct 18, 2021), PJs (Sep 16, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Lathe Hand Crank to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks for another one Marv! I was thinking of making something like that, maybe using a moly bolt to start with. I need one for my indexed Unimat headstock.
    ---
    Ken

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadablue View Post
    Thanks for another one Marv! I was thinking of making something like that, maybe using a moly bolt to start with. I need one for my indexed Unimat headstock.
    IIRC the Unimat bore is only about 7 mm. A moly might work well for such a small bore.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    I can't find a small expansion bolt (I think I used the wrong term when I said 'moly' bolt) that isn't made of steel. I think I'll make a tiny version of your aluminum one Marv.
    ---
    Ken

Thanks

jkahn's Tools
    Thanks for the great and simple gizmo, I just finished making one and it works beautifully.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadablue View Post
    I can't find a small expansion bolt (I think I used the wrong term when I said 'moly' bolt) that isn't made of steel. I think I'll make a tiny version of your aluminum one Marv.
    I've heard "moly" used to include both toggle bolts and expansion bolts. I think both of us are thinking of the latter.

There might be one problem with a moly. The "leaves" that expand when the bolt is tightened aren't at all springy and so may not retract when the bolt is loosened. You might need to use a bit of force to remove it.

Given the constraints of the small Unimat spindle bore, you may want to think about a design where the expansion mechanism is outside the bore instead of inside. In the past I've made expanding arbors by drilling the end of a rod for a tapered pipe thread. After slitting, a tapered thread pipe plug screwed into the hole expands the leaves of the arbor. Some variant of that idea might allow the "expander" to be outside the bore.

Whatever you do, I'm sure Unimat users everywhere (myself included) would love to see your solution. Put a description and pictures up here so we all can see it.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 16, 2015)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jkahn View Post
    Thanks for the great and simple gizmo, I just finished making one and it works beautifully.
    Thanks, jkahn. It's very satisfying to know that someone thought enough of the idea to make his own. I appreciate you letting us know that it worked for you. Perhaps you'll show us a picture of the finished item when you have a chance?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information