Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A Layout Punch Guide

  1. #1
    Supporting Member rgsparber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 1,937 Times in 498 Posts

    rgsparber's Tools

    A Layout Punch Guide

    It is easy to find the intersection of two scribed lines with a layout punch if the lines are deep enough to feel. Here is a solution when you must not cut into the stock.

    If you are interested, please, click here.

    If you want me to contact you each time I publish an article, email me with "Subscribe" in the subject line. In the body of the email, please tell me if you are interested in metalworking, software plus electronics, kayaking, and/or the Lectric XP eBike so I can put you on the right distribution list.

    If you are on a list and have had enough, email me "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. No hard feelings.


    Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.


    Thanks,

    Rick

    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

    Jon (10-29-2020), Karl_H (10-28-2020), saguaro (11-03-2020), wolfpaak (10-28-2020)

  3. #2
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    DIYer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,088
    Thanks
    579
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,270 Posts


    Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Punch Guide to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:




  4. #3
    JoeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts

    just wondering

    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    It is easy to find the intersection of two scribed lines with a layout punch if the lines are deep enough to feel. Here is a solution when you must not cut into the stock.

    If you are interested, please, click here.

    If you want me to contact you each time I publish an article, email me with "Subscribe" in the subject line. In the body of the email, please tell me if you are interested in metalworking, software plus electronics, kayaking, and/or the Lectric XP eBike so I can put you on the right distribution list.

    If you are on a list and have had enough, email me "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. No hard feelings.


    Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.


    Thanks,

    Rick
    Just curious about the aluminum coil. Was that supposed to be foil? Aluminum flashing? Interesting idea. I could see expanding it to make a template if I had several holes to lay out on multiple pieces. Thanks.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeH For This Useful Post:

    volodar (10-28-2020)

  6. #4
    Supporting Member rgsparber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 1,937 Times in 498 Posts

    rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Just curious about the aluminum coil. Was that supposed to be foil? Aluminum flashing? Interesting idea. I could see expanding it to make a template if I had several holes to lay out on multiple pieces. Thanks.
    "Coil" is also called flashing. I can see where this is confusing so will correct the article. I also like your idea of making a template. You, Sir, have proved again that "all of us are smarter than any one of us."

    Thanks!

    Rick
    Rick

  7. #5
    JoeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    "Coil" is also called flashing. I can see where this is confusing so will correct the article. I also like your idea of making a template. You, Sir, have proved again that "all of us are smarter than any one of us."

    Thanks!

    Rick
    Ah well, don't know about smarter. It finally dawned on me later that coil could mean a coil of metal strip. Too many years of electrical engineering makes me think of coils made from wire.

  8. #6
    Supporting Member rgsparber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 1,937 Times in 498 Posts

    rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Ah well, don't know about smarter. It finally dawned on me later that coil could mean a coil of metal strip. Too many years of electrical engineering makes me think of coils made from wire.
    JoeH,

    My mind works in different ways. It never occurred to me to confuse it with an inductor but it does makes sense now. I've been an EE since 1973. My guess is that you were more analog than digital.

    Rick
    Rick

  9. #7
    JoeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    JoeH,

    My mind works in different ways. It never occurred to me to confuse it with an inductor but it does makes sense now. I've been an EE since 1973. My guess is that you were more analog than digital.

    Rick
    Worse than that, I did filter design for a lot of years, both passive and active. Not much call for that anymore.


    Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.



    eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •