Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lineman playing with live power line - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,710 Times in 9,874 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (May 2, 2021), nova_robotics (May 1, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    While I know these things are possible, I still say that is twisting the dragons tail.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    My late brother worked in cable system construction in the 90's, and they were taught never to put your open hand toward the line in case the live cable arced into you hand, and your hand clasped the cable reflexively and turned you into a crispy critter. You face your palm away from any cable that could be life so if teh juice made you make a fist, you didn't have a live cable running through the middle of it and you had a chance to pull away.

Having been struck by lightning, I can tell you that regardless of his experience and his perception that he is well insulated and safe, this guy is an utter jackass who doesn't respect the voltage he's playing with.

Thanks

shocking !

If it takes 18,000 volts to jump the .035 inch gap in your spark plug this line must have 350,000 volts or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Electrical worker playing with live power line.

<video controls autoplay loop> <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/live_line_arc.mp4" type="video/mp4"> Your browser does not support the video tag. </video>

Previously:

Lineman's bicycle - GIF
    Chinese electrical linemen - GIFs
    Ratchet extender for electrical line work - GIF
    Electrical linemen at work compilation - GIF
    Lineman installs an electrical aerial marker ball - GIF
    Linemen working while dangling from a helicopter - GIF

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TheElderBrother View Post
    My late brother worked in cable system construction in the 90's, and they were taught never to put your open hand toward the line in case the live cable arced into you hand, and your hand clasped the cable reflexively and turned you into a crispy critter. You face your palm away from any cable that could be life so if teh juice made you make a fist, you didn't have a live cable running through the middle of it and you had a chance to pull away.

Having been struck by lightning, I can tell you that regardless of his experience and his perception that he is well insulated and safe, this guy is an utter jackass who doesn't respect the voltage he's playing with.
    One of my young troops was checking a problem with the 30KV power supply for the klystron tube in my satellite system one day and got shocked. He had his hand flat against the frame of the rack mounted power supply. The convulsion threw him off the rack, and broke the circuit. He was back there alone, and almost didn't make it home. He was two or three days from leaving Pirinclic AS, Turkey, and going back to the world. If he'd had his hand wrapped around the frame, he'd have died there, and no one would have noticed for at least several minutes. He almost got delayed in leaving as Doc, the IDMT there, wanted to send him to Incirlic AS, where they actually have a hospital and doctors, for evaluation. Your brother was absolutely right, and this guy in the video is absolutely STUPID!!! https://za.pinterest.com/pin/314970567668554270/

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information