Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair

A friend dropped off his 1985 Mack Superliner for me to tighten up the throttle linkage.
    there was about 2 inches of total accumulated. slack from wear in the linkage none of the parts are available to buy new
    After removing all of the worn parts I then welded up the ends of the rods and built up the cross shaft where it had worn then turned it back down to fit the self aligning bronze bearings and made a new linkage arm with a means of adjusting it something not done by the factory.
    the end of the link rod that attaches to the pump and the cross link shaft
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_101253tlr.jpg
    after building up and grinding round
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_155621tlr.jpg
    one end of the cross-link shaft as worn
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_102443tl.jpg
    after build up
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_111654tl.jpg
    repaired rod and old link arm
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_155552tl.jpg
    new and old linkage arms
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_155451tl.jpg
    Note original arm with hole for cotter pin to secure to the shaft
    and the new adjustable mounting style
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_155510tl.jpg
    the fit between control rod and new linkage arm
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_155607tl.jpg
    linkage arm installed
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_161809tl.jpg
    cross shaft with inboard bearing
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_164306tl.jpg
    Another view of linkage this one the rod from the pedal to the cross shaft
    Mack Superliner throttle linkage repair-img_20230116_164315tl.jpg
    In some ways better than it was when it left the factory since now the linkage is not dependent one the shear strength of a 1/8-inch cotter pin plus the pedal height can be adjusted

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 18, 2023), jackhoying (Jan 18, 2023), metric_taper (Jan 17, 2023), Scotty1 (Jan 18, 2023), sossol (Jan 17, 2023)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Innovation and great repair, Frank. My dad use to drive model F Mack tractors back in the 60s and 70s. My dad acquired a Mack bull dog hood ornament and mounted it on the hood of his 60 F100 pickup and it looked great, until some SOB ripped it off.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My friend and I have another Superliner which is a build project. it is missing the transmission drive shaft flywheel clutch and the flywheel housing I may decide to stretch the frame on it about 4 feet and install a 102" sleeper add a 4th axle set the engine up for 460 to 475 HP or leave it as is and just install a 9 speed transmission that I found for sale last night. If I do that then on the brown truck I will pull the engine install a newer electronic 475 HP engine so we can install the ELD so it can be leased on with Landstar where he has his 2001 Mack Vision leased to. Up until 2018 there was an electronic log book system available which could be installed on trucks with mechanically controlled engines, but in the gruberment's desire to control every aspect of a trucker's life the powers that be made laws so the trucks had to be computer controlled. This way now if the truck moves at a speed of over 5 miles per hour at any time the driver's logbook begins logging, even if the truck is in for service and the mechanic has to take it for a test drive. Ife the driver is on his mandatory 36 hour reset after 7 days of driving the mechanic will screw up his reset causing the driver to be penalized thinking he is driving, unless a statement to the contrary is provided by the mechanic. There is a personal conveyance feature which can be utilized providing the mechanic knows how to enter the code. This feature can only be used after the truck has been parked for 10 hours though or is limited to a maximum of 2 miles of movement. All of this was put into law under the guise of Highway safety and environmental protection. the onboard GPS tells the speed the route and logs every movement of a truck now part of this was brought on by the huge trucking companies to let them be able to monitor everything that goes on with the truck when it is low on oil low on water how much fuel it is using when it was last serviced the speed it is traveling some of the newer trucks now have their onboard cameras tied into the system as well.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information