Follow along as I explore DIY arbor press tooling. This video is meant as a share of what I am up to, and not necessarily an instructional endeavor. It is a follow up to the tooling video I made for the 12 and 20 ton shop presses. Cheers
Altair (04-06-2020), Baddog (04-09-2020), bigjulie (04-10-2020), Carnel (04-13-2020), cohay1 (04-12-2020), coxdd44 (04-12-2020), Dada (04-12-2020), drobilla (04-07-2020), j.bickley (04-08-2020), jackhoying (04-07-2020), Jon (04-09-2020), Marnat3 (04-07-2020), metalsmith1952 (04-07-2020), mklotz (04-07-2020), Moby Duck (04-11-2020), Paul Jones (04-07-2020), Peefjay (04-07-2020), Quinton 357 (04-10-2020), Rayonger (04-11-2020), rgsparber (04-06-2020), rlm98253 (04-07-2020), Sleykin (04-07-2020), thehomeengineer (04-11-2020), Tule (04-11-2020), volodar (04-13-2020), will52100 (04-10-2020), Z2V (04-12-2020)
Moby Duck (04-11-2020)
I have now followed in your footsteps: https://rick.sparber.org/ArborPressAttachments.pdf
Thanks for all the inspiration!
I did similar to mine but made different adapters to hold number/letter punches. I added a flat table and adjustable fence to help line the characters up. I also started working on tooling to press rivets in. (hollow type)
All was working and looking promising but of course, it's another one of those projects that I stopped mid way to do something else so never completed it or posted here. lol One day I'll return to it...
Someone once pointed out to me that the text generated by using letter punches looks like a ransom note. That is true for my poor attempts. My cheap set of punches has some letters not even aligned with the sides of the punch. This makes using a fence impossible.
My number set is much better quality and a fence works well. However, the spacing of the numbers and letters is another problem. To look good, the space between characters must vary. For example, "I" needs less space between adjacent characters. This turns stamping into art, not a science.
The place where stamps work well for me is when I only need one or two characters. Beyond that, I go to computer-generated text that is transferred to the surface using toner transfer. It is not as durable but it sure looks better.
I hadn't thought about using the press to set rivets. Cool idea!
Hopefully, you will find the time to complete these projects and share the results with the community.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)