Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making a $2.5 million dollar watch - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Making a $2.5 million dollar watch - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (Sep 6, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Sep 7, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Sep 8, 2018), PJs (Sep 10, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 6, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 6, 2018)

Thanks
    Phenomenal design, engineering, manufacturing, and precision assembly. Too bad all that brainpower, time, and money wasn't spent on solving some of the world's more pressing problems.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rlm98253 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It is safe to say there will never be a knockoff of that watch.
    It may have been 2.5 Mill for the first one but if they ever make as many as 10 Serial #1 will be worth millions more.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Awesome video, thanks for sharing Jon!
    I found it interesting in the early portion of the video where they showed the engineers working on the design, and using what looked to be 10x scale clear acrylic gears to prototype the motion/movement. That looked to be the fun part of the development.

Making and Assembling those small pieces does not look like my idea of fun! Interesting to watch though!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Jon! Stunning build and design. Wonder how long the assemblers could work at a time without going snow blind...2 years to assemble. Wow. I would assume the accuracy is good but no mention of that or if it is water resistant to 100m. Like Kent said I liked the 10x scale acrylic prototype also and represents a whole new concept in weight, inertia and holding tolerances in acrylic. Also the double sided bezel was stunning imho. I can see the cost for something like this and 6 new patents (Wow), but $2.5m on my arm scares the stuffing out of me. But as an investment...maybe...just out'a my league for sure!

Not much for bling on a watch but just received my new Seiko, first with Bling, (a chronograph BD gift) to replace my old Kinetic (5M62-oc80). Way out of my normal price point but thanks to Amazon and a gift from my better half. The old Kinetic lasted 12 years through hell and high water (several 20-40m dives in Australia), day in and out every where I was. It finally died quietly, plus nobody locally wanted to work on it (not cost effective). It also held to about 10-15 seconds a month all that time and worked out to about 6 cents/day. Been a Seiko fan since my first self wind in 65'...had a couple of casio's (G-shock & calc watch)...but short lived and hated the bands on them. Best thing is the new one is a 43mm case and I can read it night or day without trifocals... We'll see how the solar works out, accuracy and longevity, but for my 53 years and 6 of them...should be fine for me.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks

skibo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Thanks Jon! Stunning build and design. Wonder how long the assemblers could work at a time without going snow blind...2 years to assemble. Wow. I would assume the accuracy is good but no mention of that or if it is water resistant to 100m. Like Kent said I liked the 10x scale acrylic prototype also and represents a whole new concept in weight, inertia and holding tolerances in acrylic. Also the double sided bezel was stunning imho. I can see the cost for something like this and 6 new patents (Wow), but $2.5m on my arm scares the stuffing out of me. But as an investment...maybe...just out'a my league for sure!

Not much for bling on a watch but just received my new Seiko, first with Bling, (a chronograph BD gift) to replace my old Kinetic (5M62-oc80). Way out of my normal price point but thanks to Amazon and a gift from my better half. The old Kinetic lasted 12 years through hell and high water (several 20-40m dives in Australia), day in and out every where I was. It finally died quietly, plus nobody locally wanted to work on it (not cost effective). It also held to about 10-15 seconds a month all that time and worked out to about 6 cents/day. Been a Seiko fan since my first self wind in 65'...had a couple of casio's (G-shock & calc watch)...but short lived and hated the bands on them. Best thing is the new one is a 43mm case and I can read it night or day without trifocals... We'll see how the solar works out, accuracy and longevity, but for my 53 years and 6 of them...should be fine for me.

PJ
    I have a few Seiko watches and I also still own a Seiko kinetic, a 30 year gift from the company I worked for! It has died and will cost a lot to fix,I'll keep it as a memento of the years worked. I do love Seiko watches though but I bought an excellent used worn twice Citizen Echo dress watch for $35.00 on Ebay, two years ago and have found it to be quite the buy!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skibo For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018)

Thread Information