Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making a large axe

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Garage workshop for making such a valuable contribution!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Thumbs up Great project

Quote Originally Posted by Garage workshop View Post
    In this project I make a large axe in the folded axe style. I took a 10mm (3/8’‘) steel plate and folded it after which I inserted a piece of high – carbon steel and forge welded it altogether.

I made the handle out of ash which had a nice figure on it. To test the axe I chopped down an old dead plum tree which I’ll use when it’s dry for knife handles and other stuff.

When I’ll do it again, I’ll first forge down the high carbon steel and thin it down because when I was forging the mild steel moved a lot faster than it and the result is that the axe is a bit thicker that I would have liked but it works great for splitting.

The axe weighs 2.8kg (6lbs) and it’s really difficult to swing but it actually cut the tree nicely and the edge wasn’t damaged almost at all.

I hardened the axe in water and tempered it to light straw.

The axe is dirty from a cutting a tree.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

Build video:

In a day where one can go to the hardware store and plunk down $20 and just grab one off the shelf, it is a great lesson in the value of such a tool made 400 years ago. It would take a talented individual a lengthy amount of time to construct such a valuable and vital tool for a family. That tool would be well cared for and probably passed down.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information