Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making a metric thread dial indicator (TDI) easier to use

Supporting Member Alans Home Workshop's Avatar
    Thanks

Alans Home Workshop's Tools

Making a metric thread dial indicator (TDI) easier to use

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alans Home Workshop For This Useful Post:

johncg (Feb 9, 2023), Jon (Feb 7, 2023), kboy0076 (Feb 10, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I've never seen a lathe with 3 gears for the Threading Dial Indicator. Is that typical for a metric lathe?
    Both of my lathes have imperial threading screws. The newer one, I can select metric threads with the change gears, but I can't disengage the half nut. That's a major PITA. I had read about making a new gear for the TDI that would enable doing metric threads and allow the half nut to be disengaged. But I'm not sure if that's true.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alans Home Workshop For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Alans Home Workshop! We've added your Thread Dial Indicator Modification to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Alans Home Workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Alan, thank you. I had seen OxTool video before, but it does not solve the issue of reversing the lathe, only disengaging when forward threading towards the chuck. I typically cut threads in reverse to feed away from the chuck, to prevent crashing.
    The second video by An Engineers Findings, explains why metric lathes require 3 thread dial gears. But in my case going from imperial lathe making metric threads, he shows the same problem of needing multiple gears on the thread dial.
    I'm thinking of some sort of electronic means, using a spindle encoder along with a lead screw encoder, and have some sort of synchronizing display to indicate when to engage. But I bet that still results in long delays to get the right engagement to the lead screw.
    It's not all the big of a problem, as I don't make many single point threads on the lathes. Most of the time I use a tap and die, as I stock both systems of tools. Except, there are some bastard metric threads in the finer pitches that come up every so often. Just the other day I had M12x1.25, which is not included in any sets.

Thanks

I also cut most smaller ie < 1/2" or 12mm threads with taps and dies. I started as a young bloke with a small metric set (6,8,10 fine and coarse) but relentlessly bought extras whenever I encountered the thread. 40 years later I have everything covered from 2 - 20mm plus similar sizes in Whitworth and SAE. I have always bought good quality HSS items and hate to think how much it would cost to replace this lot at today's prices...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information