Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making precision machinists squares from scrap of metal

Thanks

kwm24@o2.pl's Tools

Making precision machinists squares from scrap of metal

Hi.
    Below you have a link to instructional movie how to make precision machinists squares from scrap of metal.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kwm24@o2.pl For This Useful Post:

Crusty (May 4, 2020), Hopefuldave (May 6, 2020), Jon (May 7, 2020), madmick77 (May 10, 2020), mwmkravchenko (May 11, 2020), nova_robotics (May 10, 2020), old_toolmaker (May 11, 2020), Tonyg (May 11, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I like this sort of project which requires precision and care to complete, even if it's ignored by the majority here.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (May 11, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks kwm24@o2.pl! We've added your Machinist's Squares to our Angle Guides and Try Squares category,
    as well as to your builder page: kwm24@o2.pl's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I don’t understand the mechanics of a surface grinder. How do you avoid a rising surface owing to the gradual wear of the grinding disc?

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    You take light cuts to avoid changing the wheel diameter, and maybe even retrue the wheel periodically. A wheel wears by fracturing of the surface particles and if you can mostly avoid that the wheel wears little since it's much harder than the steel it's grinding. A surface grinder can be a tool that works in the ten thousandths of an inch realm.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (May 5, 2020), mwmkravchenko (May 11, 2020), N00b Machinist (May 6, 2020)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by N00b Machinist View Post
    I don’t understand the mechanics of a surface grinder. How do you avoid a rising surface owing to the gradual wear of the grinding disc?
    In addition to the light cuts, you are really only cutting with the very first part of the wheel to contact the piece. As that part wears down, the cutting surface of the wheel moves over to "fresh" wheel. So now, the leading edge of the wheel is cutting the first 1/2 tenth and the "fresh" part of the wheel only has the cut the second 1/2 tenth.

In the video, from 9:05 to 9:20 you can see that the portion of the wheel closest to the machine is doing the cutting, and that there are no sparks forming on the surface closest to the viewer.
    Last edited by Karl_H; May 5, 2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: More info

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karl_H For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (May 5, 2020), mwmkravchenko (May 11, 2020), N00b Machinist (May 6, 2020)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yep. Many people do not think through the mechanics of how a surface grinder works.

Nice project and very constructive comments.

I'm going to watch the video.

I like this kind of project to.

Mark

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    kwm24@o2.pl,

Nice looking work, although I prefer to see much thinner legs of precision squares. The thinner legs are able to show squareness better. The thicker legs tend to not show light gaps as easily and tend to not be as sensitive. Just my thoughts. Thank you for posting!
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old_toolmaker View Post
    kwm24@o2.pl,

Nice looking work, although I prefer to see much thinner legs of precision squares. The thinner legs are able to show squareness better. The thicker legs tend to not show light gaps as easily and tend to not be as sensitive. Just my thoughts. Thank you for posting!
    I have a few thicker precision squares that have chamfers on the edges for just this reason.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Mook (Nov 1, 2023)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    I made one out of 1/4 inch aluminum, but my surface "grind" was simply an edge cut with the mill.

I align my horizontal band saw blade by attaching a 6 inch steel gauge to the blade with a small rare earth magnet, being sure the magnet is not displaced by any of the teeth. When I tried to use my commercial machinist's square, the magnetic fields carried through the steel gauge would pull the gauge to the square, so no matter how far out of alignment the blade was, the gauge would line up perfectly with the square.

Since there is no "fine adjust" on my band saw - I twist the roller assembly with a big adjustable wrench and hold it in place while I tighten the screw - the precision of an end mill cut is good enough.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information