Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Making USB Cables Behave

Supporting Member brianpoundingnails's Avatar
    Thanks

brianpoundingnails's Tools
    I've taken classes in physics, calculus and permutations, trigonometry, and mindreading. Everything I've ever been taught tells me that I at least have a fifty-fifty chance of plugging a usb cable in the right way up, but somehow I've never gotten it right, not even once. It's probably just a tear in the space-time continuum that
    hovers over my shop.

Hands, Head and Heart(mostly hands)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brianpoundingnails For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 11, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpoundingnails View Post
    I've taken classes in physics, calculus and permutations, trigonometry, and mindreading. Everything I've ever been taught tells me that I at least have a fifty-fifty chance of plugging a usb cable in the right way up, but somehow I've never gotten it right, not even once. It's probably just a tear in the space-time continuum that
    hovers over my shop.

Hands, Head and Heart(mostly hands)
    Roger That! Is that a BAR your Prairie Poodle is packing, can't quite tell from the pic.

I've got your 6...

Making USB Cables Behave-squirrel_bazooka.jpg

PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Roger That! Is that a BAR your Prairie Poodle is packing, can't quite tell from the pic.

I've got your 6...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squirrel_bazooka.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	24240

PJ

Good eye on the gun but he's a beaver. Now you've pissed him off by calling him some wimpy prairie dog, he wants to send his brother James up to see you.Making USB Cables Behave-bb.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    PJ do you need to borrow this
    Making USB Cables Behave-because-over-kill-under-rated-big-guns-equal-big-fun-dlm4-funny-pictures-1284875838.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    PJ do you need to borrow this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	because-over-kill-is-under-rated-big-guns-equal-big-fun-dlm4-funny-pictures-1284875838.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	24304
    He gives. Where is Peacock? I'm in Humble. You two fellas seem to carry the load around here. Some of them kind seem of stiff.(maybe it's just me). Thanks for your comments on my posts. I will take it as high praise indeed from accomplished toolmakers like yourselves.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brianpoundingnails For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Now that we have completely destroyed Rick's thread I'd like to ask a question of those who know a lot more about these infernal USB cables I've made up cat 5 and cat 7 cables but so far I don't think I have found replacement ends or the tools for repairing the USB's does any know if these may exist?

Oh yes brianpoundingnails Peacock is in the free state of Stonewall county named after Stonewall Jackson. about 70 miles north West of Abilene, population just under 2000 except during any hunting season when it can increase by several 1000 on any given weekend
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Now that we have completely destroyed Rick's thread I'd like to ask a question of those who know a lot more about these infernal USB cables I've made up cat 5 and cat 7 cables but so far I don't think I have found replacement ends or the tools for repairing the USB's does any know if these may exist?

Oh yes brianpoundingnails Peacock is in the free state of Stonewall county named after Stonewall Jackson. about 70 miles north West of Abilene, population just under 2000 except during any hunting season when it can increase by several 1000 on any given weekend
    O.K. nuff jokin. I was just at homedepots site, searching "cat 5" and they were about halfway down the page.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I find that orientation of female USB ports on devices is random.

Also, we should straighten out some electrical/electronic terminology.

A jack, as in a device's USB port, is a receptacle. It is also called a female connector and is what’s commonly found on walls, laptops, phones, tv’s, etc. A plug, also called a male connector is usually found at one end of a cord, is the part we plug or insert into a receptacle. Technically, a household extension cord has a plug at one end and a jack, or receptacle, at the other - though most would call these ends male and female. When buying terminated cords online, we specify male or female ends. Online, jack and plug are terms not commonly used since they are often misused by the population - I’ve heard even a licenced, and intelligent, electrician call wall receptacles “plugs”. But then, I’ve also heard people talk about “unthawing” frozen stuff.

I do as Rick does. As Marv mentioned, USB 2.0 plugs have the USB symbol in bas relief (but sometimes in sunk relief, or intaglio) on the contact side of the connector. Thus, one always knows the orientation of the plug by sight or by feel. Using a visible mark eliminates all doubt. "Correc-Type” liquid works well for marking. On devices, the orientation of the jack (the female connector), is not marked, nor is it easily seen on say, an auxiliary monitor, or the side of a laptop on a cluttered desk.

So, on plugs, I mark the contact side. On devices’ jacks (females), I mark the non-contact side of the connector if visible (it rarely is). So, I plug mark to mark, or no mark to no mark. Saves a lot of time.
    Last edited by volodar; Jun 11, 2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: paragraph, font

11. The Following User Says Thank You to volodar For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Jun 12, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    I find that orientation of female USB ports on devices is random.

Also, we should straighten out some electrical/electronic terminology.

A jack, as in a device's USB port, is a receptacle. It is also called a female connector and is what’s commonly found on walls, laptops, phones, tv’s, etc. A plug, also called a male connector is usually found at one end of a cord, is the part we plug or insert into a receptacle. Technically, a household extension cord has a plug at one end and a jack, or receptacle, at the other - though most would call these ends male and female. When buying terminated cords online, we specify male or female ends. Online, jack and plug are terms not commonly used since they are often misused by the population - I’ve heard even a licenced, and intelligent, electrician call wall receptacles “plugs”. But then, I’ve also heard people talk about “unthawing” frozen stuff.

I do as Rick does. As Marv mentioned, USB 2.0 plugs have the USB symbol in bas relief (but sometimes in sunk relief, or intaglio) on the contact side of the connector. Thus, one always knows the orientation of the plug by sight or by feel. Using a visible mark eliminates all doubt. "Correc-Type” liquid works well for marking. On devices, the orientation of the jack (the female connector), is not marked, nor is it easily seen on say, an auxiliary monitor, or the side of a laptop on a cluttered desk.

So, on plugs, I mark the contact side. On devices’ jacks (females), I mark the non-contact side of the connector if visible (it rarely is). So, I plug mark to mark, or no mark to no mark. Saves a lot of time.
    I'd listen to this guy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to brianpoundingnails For This Useful Post:

volodar (Jun 11, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Frank, No I'm Good...Fiona takes care of my light work.
    I do like cats...big ones. We got Fiona a few years ago to take care of dog walking neighbors leaving presents in our driveway.
    Making USB Cables Behave-fiona_tasty_bits_web.jpg Yard sign I made...Making USB Cables Behave-nodogpoop.jpg

Good eye on the gun but he's a beaver. Now you've pissed him off by calling him some wimpy prairie dog, he wants to send his brother James up to see you.
    Brianpoundingnails, No offense intended, it's just that up in Amarillo and San Angelo where I spent some youth, that's what we called them...And I thought sure your buddy was one of them...My bad.

Frank, Yep we did I but think we had some light hearted fun. To answer your question, Yes you can get "Shells" to replace the "Plugs and Sockets". (Yup, Volodar is correct on terms in the general category of "Connectors"). Mouser, Newark has solderless, and even Adafruit has them. A google search gives lots of choices...but I prefer Mouser or Newark.

I've done a few but they were specific for the rack panel mounts I used on the Hawk system. Think I got those from L-Com or DigiKey. No Crimps are needed but should heat shrink. Personally I wouldn't bother because of the varied wiring and types for USB, mainly because you'll spend ~$1 per and spend 30 minutes setting up, striping, soldering and heat shrinking one, when you can buy a new cable for <$10 on Amazon, as long as you don't go to the big box store and spend ~$25.

I also like Voldar's Idea of using Correction Fluid...shows up and stays on...or maybe one of those Yellow Ink, machine marking pens which I have.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information