Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medium duty Jib crane

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Medium duty Jib crane

Using a forklift or my backhoe to help lift heavy things while I assemble them has never been among the things I relish. While either machine will do the job and do it quite well the constant mounting and dismounting the machines get tiresome not to mention when on either it is difficult to place the object exactly where I want r need it.
    So I decided it was time to construct another jib crane for my shop over a work station
    This one is a medium duty jib crane made out of a WF6x6 x25 lb.ft beam 16 ft. long the stem is made of 4" XX pipe 1/2" wall thickness banded on both ends with 5" sch 40 pipe split and drawn tight tot eh stem then full welded then each end bored for 2 7212b (60x110x22mm) angular contact bearings fitted in each end
    the stabilizing tension bar is comprised 2 1 1/2" sch 80 pipes welded to either side of a pair of 1/2x 2 1/2" plates
    the hoist trolley is 5 ton rated but I will only be installing a 1 1/2 ton chain hoist
    I still have to weld some gussets to the mount on the hero column insure proper support for the 3/4" thick mounting plates I installed
    Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210607_165205cr.jpg

Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210607_210509jc.jpg

Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210607_165257jc.jpg

Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210608_194151cr.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 10, 2021), Jon (Jun 11, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Jun 10, 2021), LMMasterMariner (Jun 10, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Jun 10, 2021), rlm98253 (Jun 9, 2021), Scotty1 (Jun 9, 2021), thehomeengineer (Jun 10, 2021), Tuomas (Jun 9, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Do you have a magical pile of all the stuff I need do you?

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Jib Crane to our Cranes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    I have been planning to build small crane to our yard.
    Its just that it needs heavy base or counter weight...

I bought a steel boat to be restored.
    Crane would be handy when lifting steel plates.

Your post made me think.

Could it be useful feature if you could adjust the height of the cross beam?

If you don't need to lift high, then beam could be lowered.
    Then it doesn't need so heavy base. When cross beam is lifted up, you could lift higher, but only lighter objects.

And...
    I just don't find right words in english.

Maybe i need to draw a picture...
    Last edited by Tuomas; Jun 9, 2021 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tuomas, the height of the beam has little to do with the size of the base or column that supports it.
    it is the load center distance from the mounting or pivot point the farther the cantilevered distance is the stronger the pivot and base must be unless there is an equal counter weight opposite of the load
    For a free standing jib crane the anchorage to the ground becomes the most important consideration second is the slenderness ratio of the column for a given height.
    If you were to tell me the max weight you need to lift how high and how far from the column or base the load needs to be raised I can tell you what you would need to accomplish your task.
    another thought is if you only need something temporary you could possibly utilize a gin pole type crane with a counter weight.
    A lot of people who only need to lift say half a ton or less to a height of 2 or 3 meters have modified mechanics shop engine hoists by turning the beam around and adding weights to the hoist base this allows the lifting device to remain mobile while the base is out of the way of their work

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Do you have a magical pile of all the stuff I need do you?
    When we started preparing to move out here I tried to accumulate as much stuff as I possibly could.
    We hauled literally dozens of semi trailer loads along with making close to 50 trips with my pickup towing an over loaded trailer each time.
    but since 2015 I've consumed a huge percentage of my materials.
    the Shop itself consumed the major portion and as it seems is still consuming.
    I'm getting to the point that I'm going to have to start making the auctions again in a big way otherwise I'm going to wake up one day and the stock pile will be gone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 10, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Frank I hear you. I used to have a reasonable sort of a stockpile that got topped up from various scrap bins, now I have to actually BUY stuff!
    Amazing how fast a pile can dwindle.

Tuomas, I don't know if these will be of any use but occasionally I have found myself somewhere needing to move stuff with only some rope, sheaves and whatever is at hand. Might not be OSHA approved but usually get the job done. I use static lines mostly and save the dynamic rope for climbing, Gleistein Cougar 12mm climbing rope (White / Yellow), Not top shelf but pretty good stuff and in my price range. https://www.gleistein.com/en/geo-pro...al-rope/cougar

http://yabe.chudov.com/Army-Rigging-...k-TM-5-125.pdf

https://training.bnl.gov/demo/basicriggingworkbook.pdf

http://docshare01.docshare.tips/file.../166746347.pdf

A Chicago Jib could be the answer for awkward lifts.
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Jun 10, 2021 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling mistake.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 10, 2021)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Great looking work space got a bit of barn envy going on here. Another great addition to the Frank workshop makes things so much easier and safer.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Tuomas, the height of the beam has little to do with the size of the base or column that supports it.
    it is the load center distance from the mounting or pivot point the farther the cantilevered distance is the stronger the pivot and base must be unless there is an equal counter weight opposite of the load
    For a free standing jib crane the anchorage to the ground becomes the most important consideration second is the slenderness ratio of the column for a given height.
    If you were to tell me the max weight you need to lift how high and how far from the column or base the load needs to be raised I can tell you what you would need to accomplish your task.
    another thought is if you only need something temporary you could possibly utilize a gin pole type crane with a counter weight.
    A lot of people who only need to lift say half a ton or less to a height of 2 or 3 meters have modified mechanics shop engine hoists by turning the beam around and adding weights to the hoist base this allows the lifting device to remain mobile while the base is out of the way of their work
    Yep. You're right. I did some further planning, and it doesn't make sense at the end. Sturdy rising beam would make structure too complicated.

I think, that in my case. Jib crane, with a support wheels in the other end could be best option.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Frank I hear you. I used to have a reasonable sort of a stockpile that got topped up from various scrap bins, now I have to actually BUY stuff!
    Amazing how fast a pile can dwindle.

Tuomas, I don't know if these will be of any use but occasionally I have found myself somewhere needing to move stuff with only some rope, sheaves and whatever is at hand. Might not be OSHA approved but usually get the job done. I use static lines mostly and save the dynamic rope for climbing, Gleistein Cougar 12mm climbing rope (White / Yellow), Not top shelf but pretty good stuff and in my price range. https://www.gleistein.com/en/geo-pro...al-rope/cougar

http://yabe.chudov.com/Army-Rigging-...k-TM-5-125.pdf

https://training.bnl.gov/demo/basicriggingworkbook.pdf

http://docshare01.docshare.tips/file.../166746347.pdf

A Chicago Jib could be the answer for awkward lifts.
    That idea would work, partly for me. But i keep it on my mind, it for future. Thanks!

I think i need a solution that allows me to easily move plates to different directions. To assemble heavy plates with s help of the crane.

Also. Renting a forklift could be option too.

Thread Information