Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 467

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

  1. #41
    Supporting Member jdurand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Los Gatos, California, USA & Goryachy Klyuch, Krasnodar Krai, Russia
    Posts
    1,409
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 712 Times in 403 Posts

    jdurand's Tools
    I've found there's two things people don't understand about computers, 0 and 1.

    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

  2. #42
    Supporting Member IntheGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 456 Times in 276 Posts

    IntheGroove's Tools
    01010111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00111111

  3. #43
    Supporting Member DIYSwede's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden...
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 770 Times in 315 Posts

    DIYSwede's Tools
    Just a video for your amusement:



    PS: Shameless plug at the end, and -Yes, the guy is Irish.

    Quote from an expat friend of mine:
    -"Anger and resentment"? - MY thoughts on THAT?
    -Well, I'm Irish. It's our bloody national sport!"
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Aug 19, 2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Added PS

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

    Toolmaker51 (Aug 19, 2020)

  5. #44
    Supporting Member NortonDommi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    North Island, New Zealand.
    Posts
    979
    Thanks
    1,786
    Thanked 515 Times in 309 Posts

    NortonDommi's Tools
    This argument will keep raging until the entire world kneel down before statues of Stalin and all sanity has been annihilated.
    It does not matter what system you use as long as everybody doing something to work on a project ALL use the same standards. Growing up with Imperial, having the country change to metric at age 9 I had to go through school and sit all exams including Trade exams in both.
    Some things are just quicker and faster using Imperial, other times metric is easier.
    As there is a huge amount of old stuff in the world which occasionally has to be worked on is reason enough to be conversant in both. This Irish guy might be of the bog variety, certainly dumbed down by being raised with only metrickery.

    Here is some good information that helps explain a few things that you will never be taught in school today: Weights, Measures and Volumes of the Ancient Mediterranean

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

    Toolmaker51 (Aug 19, 2020)

  7. #45
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,219
    Thanks
    6,177
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,599 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    This argument will keep raging until the entire world kneel down before statues of Stalin and all sanity has been annihilated.
    It does not matter what system you use as long as everybody doing something to work on a project ALL use the same standards. Growing up with Imperial, having the country change to metric at age 9 I had to go through school and sit all exams including Trade exams in both.
    Some things are just quicker and faster using Imperial, other times metric is easier.
    As there is a huge amount of old stuff in the world which occasionally has to be worked on is reason enough to be conversant in both. This Irish guy might be of the bog variety, certainly dumbed down by being raised with only metrickery.

    Here is some good information that helps explain a few things that you will never be taught in school today: Weights, Measures and Volumes of the Ancient Mediterranean
    Hear Hear! Especially with that "old stuff" being stuff we like to work on!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  8. #46
    Supporting Member Crusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Dry Gulch, Tx
    Posts
    749
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 779 Times in 321 Posts

    Crusty's Tools
    I don't know this for a fact but in my musings on the origin of the phrase I've come to the opinion that the phrase "Hear, Hear!" likely is a misquote of the original phrase, "Hear here!" which means to me to call attention to something someone has said and it fits with its common usage in conversation.

    And now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

  9. #47
    Supporting Member mklotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    LA, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,857
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked 5,398 Times in 1,794 Posts

    mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I don't know this for a fact but in my musings on the origin of the phrase I've come to the opinion that the phrase "Hear, Hear!" likely is a misquote of the original phrase, "Hear here!" which means to me to call attention to something someone has said and it fits with its common usage in conversation.
    Nope, it's "Hear, hear"; location, as in 'here', has nothing to do with it.

    https://whatis.techtarget.com/featur...e-or-hear-hear

    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/
    ---
    Regards, Marv


    Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

    Toolmaker51 (Aug 19, 2020)

  11. #48
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,219
    Thanks
    6,177
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,599 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Nope, it's "Hear, hear"; location, as in 'here', has nothing to do with it.

    https://whatis.techtarget.com/featur...e-or-hear-hear

    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/
    Lol, and why I rarely depend on speech to text. Semi-skilled typist with aversion to typo's.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  12. #49
    Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    22,301
    Thanks
    6,940
    Thanked 33,065 Times in 9,228 Posts

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

    Toolmaker51 (Aug 23, 2020)

  14. #50
    Supporting Member DIYSwede's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden...
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 770 Times in 315 Posts

    DIYSwede's Tools
    FWIW: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=refridgerator

    " A refrigerator keeps items in a state of frige, a word that has yet to be assigned a logical definition.
    A refridgerator keeps items fridged and may continuously refridge this items, a well logical word."

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

    baja (Aug 25, 2020), Beserkleyboy (Aug 24, 2020), MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 23, 2020)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •