Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    looks to me like the pizzas are coming from the guy on the left and attacking the guy on the right.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    And in Florida...
    Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart-200404131604-social-distancing-florida-alligator-trnd-super-tease.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Measuring distances in football fields, pizzas or alligators is fine but what do you do when you need to express a pure number out of range of the 1-2-many counting types? Walmart has solved that problem...

Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart-express_lane.jpg
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Asteroid bigger than the Statue of Liberty will fly past Earth on Christmas Day, NASA says...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Measuring distances in football fields, pizzas or alligators is fine but what do you do when you need to express a pure number out of range of the 1-2-many counting types? Walmart has solved that problem...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	express_lane.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	37647

I know that I am probably giving far too much credit here, but for the sake of humanity I hope that is just an Walmart's attempt at ironic humor.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    I know that I am probably giving far too much credit here, but for the sake of humanity I hope that is just an Walmart's attempt at ironic humor.
    Allow me to introduce you to the Walmartians, the species who shop there...

https://www.sadanduseless.com/people...lmart-gallery/

Scroll through that site; think those folks could count all the way up to fifteen?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

clavius (Dec 25, 2020)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Asteroid bigger than the Statue of Liberty will fly past Earth on Christmas Day, NASA says...
    This article...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/mass...arth-1.5244153

says in its very first sentence...

"TORONTO -- A massive asteroid that may be bigger than the length of two football fields is set to fly past Earth on Christmas Day, according to NASA."

so fortunately we need not convert odd dimensions like Statues-of-Liberty into the universal standard of football fields. I can't express how reassuring that is :-) Even the folks in the great white North measure in football fields.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Allow me to introduce you to the Walmartians, the species who shop there...

https://www.sadanduseless.com/people...lmart-gallery/

Scroll through that site; think those folks could count all the way up to fifteen?
    HA!

Like many, I had chuckled at the "people of walmart" stuff that you see on the web. I always just figured these characters were distant outliers. Then 7 or 8 years ago my job had me working in Florida and the principle worksite just happened to be nextdoor to a large Walmart where we would go to stock up on groceries for the extended stay place I was staying at, or when we were desperate and hungry enough, a late night sandwich because nothing else was open.

I learned pretty quickly that it was quite effortless to find "People of Walmart" caliber people, most any time of the day or night. It was an eyeopener.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post

This reminds me of an article about those kids that were trapped in the underwater cave a couple of years back. I think it was in Thailand. One of the UK newspapers had an infographic showing a cross section of the rescue path to illustrate how difficult the rescue was going to be. They described the narrowest part of the passage as being "The width of four Mars candy bars"...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Smile

Quickly reading the article points out a much more CRITICAL deficiency in the understanding of measurement by MOST people, no matter what units you use.

The article clearly states, "....has a diameter between 92 and 210 metres. This means it could range from the size of the Statue of Liberty to the length of two NFL-size football fields..."

Even if you have no idea what a meter is, if you truly understand measurement, and simple math you can easily see the asteroid is from "this big" to over "twice this big". However when writers start to mix units, it becomes foolish. Why not simply say, "the size can be between one to two Statues of Liberty". Or between "one and two Football fields".

It is so unfortunate that we get so much of our information from Journalists who no longer study how to clearly communicate information. Instead they study how keep the consumers "attention" long enough to air the commercials. It does not matter if what they say is true or not, as no one will call them on it anyway.

One of my favorite lines came from a reporter covering the city's preparations for the upcoming winter season. She pointed to a single axle truck stating, "this truck is ready to go with 20,000 TONS of salt". It happens all the time.

Merry Christmas Walmart shoppers!!!

Thread Information