Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini Disc Sander

Thanks

cuttransformglue's Tools

Talking Mini Disc Sander

Hey everybody!

So, recently I made myself a mini disc sander, to help my model making work. It uses a 19v eletric motor and it's body is made out of 3mm MDF cut on a Laser CNC. The project is available on thingiverse, in case anyone wanna make your own. It was my first time making an electric tool for myself, so this is why I started simple. (Spoilers: I've already bought a 150w sewing machine motor to make a bigger version). I didn't take any photos of the process, but made a video for it. Links are bellow. Hope you guys like it =)

PS: Feel free to ask any question! Also, constructive criticism is highly appreciated

Thingiverse link

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cuttransformglue For This Useful Post:

Altair (Nov 27, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Nov 9, 2018), dekeros (Nov 11, 2018), DIYer (Nov 13, 2018), Frank S (Nov 9, 2018), Jon (Nov 9, 2018), JRock (Nov 9, 2018), PJs (Nov 11, 2018), rlm98253 (Nov 9, 2018), rossbotics (Nov 10, 2018), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (Dec 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Looks like it was a fun little project. Time was when I used to make model airplanes when one of those little sanders would have the great to have around.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

cuttransformglue's Tools
    Thank you Frank S! I definitely had fun making it... so much that I'm already planning to make a bigger one =)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Do you have your own laser cutter

Thanks

cuttransformglue's Tools
    I don't! I do all my projects on a public Fab Lab, here in my city (São Paulo, Brazil)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cuttransformglue For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 11, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    It's cool that you have access to one

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Fantastic build, mate. Your 150 watt unit will be a screamer! But consider using plywood for the framework, as the MDF will not hold up as well under greater force. You can still use your 3mm (or 4 or 6mm ) build up technique,(a real favourite of mine...as 4 layers of 3mm ply will have 8 face veneers in the same direction, much stronger than any other, except aircraft ply) and improve strength and screw retention by a huge margin. Only drawback is that plywood, while stiffer and stronger, will transmit rather than absorb vibration, so rubber feet or fastening base with screws through rubber grommets to stop vibration. Congrats on your excellent video.
    Jim
    in sunny south coast NSW Australia

Thanks

cuttransformglue's Tools
    Frank S: Yeah, I'm really lucky i got access to one. They also have traditional CNC's that can work with metal.. But I'll stick to the mdf for now

Beserkleboy: Thank you!! The only issue I'm having right now, is to find a 120mm diameter sturdy steel disc... I'll end up maybe going with an alluminum one, at least for now. As for the "body", the 3mm MDF definitely won't be strong enough for this. Thank you for the plywood suggestion, I'll look into it. Do you think I can get away with using Acrylic/plexiglass? Cause at least I could get those cut on the laser. I got some at 4mm thickness that I could be glued, making 8 or 12mm

Thank you all again, cheers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuttransformglue For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 10, 2018), PJs (Nov 11, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttransformglue View Post
    Frank S: Yeah, I'm really lucky i got access to one. They also have traditional CNC's that can work with metal.. But I'll stick to the mdf for now

Beserkleboy: Thank you!! The only issue I'm having right now, is to find a 120mm diameter sturdy steel disc... I'll end up maybe going with an alluminum one, at least for now. As for the "body", the 3mm MDF definitely won't be strong enough for this. Thank you for the plywood suggestion, I'll look into it. Do you think I can get away with using Acrylic/plexiglass? Cause at least I could get those cut on the laser. I got some at 4mm thickness that I could be glued, making 8 or 12mm

Thank you all again, cheers
    Acrylic/ plexiglass will transmit the vibrations as bad as many other materials.
    what you could do since you laminate several layers of MDF together anyway would be to make a composite lamination of MDF and plywood or there are products on the market that are composites of thin sheets of aluminum and plastic in varying thicknesses from 2.5mm to 10 mm for cladding used in building construction
    https://www.alucobondusa.com/
    http://www.alumicor.com/wp-content/u...tail-pages.pdf

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 10, 2018), PJs (Nov 11, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Good signature! I hope other guys with YT channels follow your example.

Although, I must note (ahem), the best performing signature still might be a freebie ebook.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 11, 2018)

Thread Information