Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini lathe carriage stop

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Mini lathe carriage stop

This is a bed stop I made to simplify turning multiples on my 7x10. It’s kind of similar to the old South Bend four position units but a lot smaller and with two additional stops.

It indexes with a spring loaded ball, and the stop screws lock in place with jam nuts. The barrel is inside the bed ways in order to use the corner of the carriage wing to clear adjacent stop screws.

The extra stops aren’t that useful and fewer of them would allow freer choice of barrel placement. The narrow mini lathe wings limit the maximum difference between stops to about only 5/8” - improvised spacers help extend this, but the small size of most stuff I use it for hasn’t prompted me to make a more permanent or consistent extension.

I milled and shaped the body from some scrap 3/4” steel. The barrel is 1” diameter and about 1-1/2” long, and the knurled take-up ring is 1-3/16”. The stop screws are 6-32.

Mini lathe carriage stop-cs01_long.jpg Mini lathe carriage stop-cs02_short.jpg

Mini lathe carriage stop-cs03_parts.jpg Mini lathe carriage stop-cs04_drawing.jpg

Mini lathe carriage stop-cs05_southbend.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 2, 2019), baja (Mar 1, 2019), Frank S (Mar 1, 2019), Paul Jones (Mar 4, 2019), rossbotics (Mar 4, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 28, 2019)

Thanks

Maszynotwór's Tools
    Super Clever and simple at the same time

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Lathe Carriage Stop to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Thanks, Adam,

It’s maybe not simple enough!

If I made it now I would probably use only four stops, with them outside of the ways and the clamping bolt from below - a spacer that screws onto the front of the carriage will be useful in any case.

I did use the same kind of nesting arrangement for the depth stops on my small tailstock turret.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information