Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini-lathe POWER FEED - DIY

Supporting Member machining 4 all's Avatar
    Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools

Mini-lathe POWER FEED - DIY

Finally I completed the assembly step of my power feed. I carried out this project without making any changes in the physical structure of the machine (hole, thread, weld, cut, etc.). I was able to install the automatic control using only scrap material. I will soon show you the mechanism in operation. If you are interested, be sure to follow my updates!

Support content creators, visit my page on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqw...E3eBi7w/videos

Thank you, M4A!

Mini-lathe POWER FEED - DIY-power-feed.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Sep 4, 2020 at 06:42 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 5, 2020), clydeman (Sep 4, 2020), H.L (Sep 5, 2020), Jon (Sep 4, 2020), marksbug (Sep 4, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I used a Dodge Ram wiper motor for the power feed on my milling machine and a year later it's still doing what I need it to do. In the motor there are 3 brushes, a common, a low speed and a high speed brush which produce 2 speeds but I found that if you isolate the common from the case (which connects back to the battery negative) then you can apply power across the low and high speed brushes and get a third fastest speed. I used a 3 gang, 6 position rotary switch to control it and I have 3 table speeds in each direction. I included a power switch for off and limit switches at each end of the table's travel to automatically stop the drive at each end and with an adjustable spindle speed I can adjust it for a good cut at any particular table feed.

Here it is before I wired it up. There's a stub shaft on the end of my lead screw connected to a deep socket and a hex stub connected to the motor and the motor assembly slides in or out on pins to engage or disengage the feed. I included a brass shear pin in case of motor stalls but I suspect that the plastic gear inside the motor protects the shear pin so I always keep my thumb on the off switch.

Mini-lathe POWER FEED - DIY-power-feeder-finished.jpg

Wiper motors deliver a surprising amount of torque and are handy and affordable for a variety of projects.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Crusty; Sep 4, 2020 at 03:03 PM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 5, 2020), clydeman (Sep 4, 2020), marksbug (Sep 4, 2020)

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Thanks for the comment Crusty! My version is unlike any you've seen... If you are interested, wait for my updates!
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Sep 4, 2020 at 07:03 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Sep 4, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks machining 4 all! We've added your Mini Lathe Power Feed to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: machining 4 all's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Great project!

Quote Originally Posted by machining 4 all View Post
    Thanks for the comment Crusty! My version is unlike any you've seen... If you are interested, wait for my updates!
    is there a way to disengage the motor when you want to manually move the wheel?
    I saw one a few years ago that used an electromagnetic clutch that was only engaged with 12vdc.

Great project!
    Doug

here is an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Thank you for your interest Nitrous! Yes, it is possible, but in this project this is done mechanically, when it is necessary to perform a quick return. I did not use any electrical device in this project (except the wiper motor, of course).
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Sep 5, 2020 at 01:38 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

Nitrous (Sep 5, 2020)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Wiper motor, what an interesting idea. It is DC so it is reversible. Looks like a geared motor so slow speeds are possible. A quick check showed some are available for under $25. Sounds like a great choice for projects.

One question, does the average wiper motor have a back and forth mechanism built in or is that normally separate from the motor itself?

And that is a great project. Make lots of chips with it.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; Sep 5, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Paul A.

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Thank you for your interest Paul Alciatore! In general, a motor wiper has a mechanical part (crown and screw with worm thread) and an electronic part (controller board). Depending on the model, it can work separately, without making the movement back and forth (which is performed by a disc and by contactors). If you have access, in the junk you may be able to find it for a friendlier price or even for free!

Mini-lathe POWER FEED - DIY-wiper-motor.jpg

https://www.sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Sep 5, 2020 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Compliments to machining 4 all with his power feed adaptation; perfect example of what HMT.net is all about.

The Dean Kamen and Woodie Flowers program, FIRST Robotics, makes tremendous use of automotive 12v motors from wipers, windows, seats...The variety of actions available is widespread, adaptable, economical and compact.
    I command (heartily encourage) any who think our young need mentoring to foster mechanical aptitude, science and/ or technology to engage with a FIRST chapter near you. I can't really see how the type of readership HMT.net has, could resist participating.

https://www.google.com/search?client...FIRST+Robotics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_In...and_Technology

It's a rabbit hole you can literally and physically dive in to, compared to just reading about others work...
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Toolmaker51, thank you for your interest and comments!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 7, 2020)

Thread Information