Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini-table saw (2)

Thanks

morsa's Tools

Mini-table saw (2)

Time ago I made a mini-table saw for the Unimat lathe (MINI TABLE SAW). Since then, I had the project of making another small table saw, suitable for modelism, with the following goals:

• It should use an independent motor, that is, not depending on the adaptation of a machine (drill, Dremel, lathe, angle grinder, circular saw, etc.)
    • The height of the disc should be adjustable without involving the inclination of the cover
    • It should have both a miter guide and a ripping fence (for safety, no freehand cuts should be made on any table saw)
    • It should be portable and, if desired, it could be temporarily fastened to the workbench
    • Although the drill chuck was not planned at the beginning, its inclusion brings many possible advantages, given the large number of accessories that can be used.

After reviewing various models, both commercial and homemade, I had a rough idea of how I would go about it, idea which underwent many changes on the fly. This is the result:

Mini-table saw (2)-1-spindle-assembly.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-2-materiales-.jpg

MATERIALS: spindle assembly, 4 3/8 ” saw disc, sewing machine motor, ½” thick corian for the cover, leftover wood and laminate floor for the box, two locking knobs (Makeshift knobs) and some other recycled items.

Mini-table saw (2)-3-base-y-mecanismo-elevaci%F3n1.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-4-caja-up-down1.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-5-soporte-para-cubierta1.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-6-up-down-2a.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-7-chequeo.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-8-guia-de-ingletes.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-9-fence.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-10-mandril.jpg

Mini-table saw (2)-11-accesorios-para-mandril.jpg

Regards

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

diesel8mech (Aug 16, 2020), jmagro (Aug 11, 2020), Jon (Aug 13, 2020), Paul Jones (Aug 14, 2020), sossol (Aug 10, 2020), yves78 (Aug 12, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Mini Table Saw to our Table Saws category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Aug 26, 2020 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing : I bought the same type of hardware for modelism too, I have the same aluminium plate, juste need to get some time to build such a table saw !

It would be nice to be able to add a table orientation facility, in order to saw at 45° balsa sticks or boards, but I think it would be difficult to implement.

May be it's possible with just building a specific table adaptor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yves78 For This Useful Post:

morsa (Aug 12, 2020)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks for comment, yves78.
    Indeed, this table saw is designed for cutting small pieces, as in modelism; tilting the blade was not a goal for me, so I preferred to keep it simple. For woodworking I have a commercial table saw, a radial saw, a miter saw and a band saw, all of which can perform bevel cuts.

Almost 4 years ago, when I made a table saw attachment for the Unimat lathe, I started a Pinterest board in order to gather ideas for this project, (https://es.pinterest.com/morsa00/mini-table-saw/). Over time the number of links has increased, many of which include a blade tilt mechanism and could inspire your project.

An alternative for bevel cuts is making slides where the work is presented at 45o to the blade.

A word of motivation: Since almost a year I already had all the elements to build this project, and I lacked decision to begin, but as soon as I started things went straightforward and I didn't stop until conclusion. Someone said: "once you begin a project, you have achieved more than 50% of the work".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information