Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: MOBILE WORK STAND FOR A '56 CHEVY HOOD

Thanks

astroracer's Tools

MOBILE WORK STAND FOR A '56 CHEVY HOOD

This is the hood for my '56 wagon.

After glass beading a lot of rust showed up in the back edge.

The rust was in between the inner hood brace and outer sheet metal. It is very thin and the only way to repair this correctly is to cut it out and make new panels.

Some repair work had been shoddily done in one of it's last repaints. I can't just throw mud in there and call it "fixed"...
    Working on the hood, with it laying flat on a fender stand, there was no way to work on both sides at the same time and I need to be able to do that. Welding and hammer work have to be done on both sides and, with it laying flat, there was no way to do that, comfortably...

So I sketched up a cart to hold the hood vertical so I can weld, grind and hammer on both sides as needed. Plus the cart rolls around which is very handy. I have it sitting on cheap poly casters right now and it rolls nicely. Being able to stand straight and work on this is very nice on the back...

The frame is made out of a 2 x 6 , some 2 x 4's and a couple 1 x 3's. Easy to put together and it is plenty stout to handle this work.
    The hood bolts into some brackets I bent up.

Two at the lower hood brace mounts and two up top through some holes created when I drilled out the plug welds for the inner brace.

I installed the inner brace when making the brackets to keep the hood curve close to what it needs to be while I do the metal work. This will work great and make a daunting task a bit more enjoyable. I am already thinking I will add another crossbar to use as a tool holder. This will get repurposed to work on the doors after the hood is done. I have rust repair on both of those to do as well...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by astroracer; Dec 19, 2020 at 08:14 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 22, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Dec 22, 2020), Jon (Dec 23, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks astroracer! We've added your Hood Work Stand to our Autobody category,
    as well as to your builder page: astroracer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    now add some legs and some diagnals that pin in diferent holes.so you can pivot it flat or most any angle for working on it!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information