Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Model Building "Soft Jaws" for regular ole "Forceps"?

Thanks

Hemi's Tools

Cool Model Building "Soft Jaws" for regular ole "Forceps"?

Everyone,
    As some here know, I'm an avid model builder, and have quite the shop... That said one of my latest builds, I needed a VERY SMALL set of pliers, that had "Soft Jaws" with NO serrated jaws... That said, the smallest "Pliers" I could find, was in fact one of my sets of "Forceps". HOWEVER, they had serrated Jaws that would marr the finish of the item I needed to hold, firmly.. that said, here is what I did to make "Soft Jaws" for on my "Forceps"....

See? Regular ole Forceps......

NOW the same Forceps with "Soft Jaws"!!!!!!

And NOW the trick..... Heat Shrink Tubing on the Jaws......

The thing is, if you EVER want or need to remove, or replace the soft jaws, cut off the heat shrink tubing and use as normal Forceps, OR add more in-place of the old stuff you removed!!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 20, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 20, 2018), PJs (Jun 21, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 21, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Hemi! We've added your Soft Jaw Parts Holder to our Model Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: Hemi's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Hemi (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Thanks DIYer..... MUCH Appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hi Hemi,
    Nice one! P.V.C. tubing works too if heated and forced on it shrinks as it cools. Bit more effort than heat shrink though and bulkier.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Your pictured "Regular ole Forceps" are actually locking forceps. "Regular ole Forceps" are tweezers. In the medical field, forceps are ubiquitous. They're called hemostats, a fancy name for locking forceps, and correctly descriptive. In electronics, the're called "heat sink pliers" again correctly descriptive when locked onto a lead between device and soldering iron.

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Hi Hemi,
    Nice one! P.V.C. tubing works too if heated and forced on it shrinks as it cools. Bit more effort than heat shrink though and bulkier.
    Yes that would have worked BUT PVC would not give the "grip" needed to do what I was doing. and needing at the time so that said, "Make-Shift" and WORK, as well as done quickly and easily was the key. plus removable as well in order to use the forceps as "normal" with the serrated jaws for other regular uses..... The Heat Shrink Tubing worked well and the forceps still has that on them till I need them for their grip with the serrations.....

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    Your pictured "Regular ole Forceps" are actually locking forceps. "Regular ole Forceps" are tweezers. In the medical field, forceps are ubiquitous. They're called hemostats, a fancy name for locking forceps, and correctly descriptive. In electronics, the're called "heat sink pliers" again correctly descriptive when locked onto a lead between device and soldering iron.
    Forceps, I have yet to see a non-locking set!!!!! I have several types of "Forceps" and not one set I have, is of a non-locking type.... Tweezers, are in regards to forceps, tweezers aren't pliers-like.... where forceps on the other hand are...... You can d the same thing on tweezers as well for "soft grips" BUT you don't have the pressure ability with tweezers as you do with forceps.....

That said, locking, non-locking forceps with the "soft jaws" can be used on either, "Regular ole forceps" meaning ANY of the tool. whether Hemostats or Forceps, same difference. The JAWS is whats key here, NOT the tool itself as the heat shrink tubing can be used on either tool type...... I mean really? You want "soft jaws" on a pair of needle nose pliers? Use BIGGER heat shrink tubing!!!!! -Bigger "pliers"? be sure to have BIGGER heat shrink tubing!!! As mentioned its NOT the tool, but the JAWS of said tool thats key here!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information