Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws

A couple of posts back I submitted a tool called a V-Step Angle Plate, there were three clamps made especially for holding work to different places on the plate for grinding, there are a series of 1/4-20 holes tapped throughout the plate for attaching the three clamps, the clamps have 1/4” slots milled into them for making adjustments, I originally used 1/4” socket head cap screws for the slots which was ok but I soon found out that the heads on the screws were a little too small for me, I didn’t want to put washers under the heads of the screws so I decided to take 5/16” socket head cap screws and turn them down to 1/4" and rethread them, but holding the screws by their heads in the chuck limited me how far back I could machine them without running the cutting tools into the chuck, I wanted to turn them down all the way back to the head of the screws and machine cut the threads all the way as well, the only thing I could think was to cut the bend off of a 1/4" allen wrench and chuck up the allen wrench and let the wrench drive the screws while I did my machining, probably nothing new I’m sure but worked for me, but in the same token I destroyed a perfectly good allen wrench, oh well

I have included some photos of the machining process

As always thanks for looking and happy machining

Doug

Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws-1.jpg Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws-2.jpg

Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws-3.jpg Modifying Socket Head Cap Screws-4.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 19, 2022), baja (Jan 6, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Jun 4, 2018), Bullet500 (Jan 19, 2022), Corm (Jun 5, 2018), Harvey Melvin Richards (Jan 19, 2022), johncg (Jan 19, 2022), natie123 (Jun 4, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 5, 2018), nova_robotics (Jan 18, 2022), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jun 21, 2018), PJs (Jun 5, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 4, 2018), sossol (Jun 4, 2018), sparky42 (Jan 19, 2022), threesixesinarow (Jun 21, 2018), tooly (Aug 15, 2023), Tule (Mar 22, 2019), UncleBob (Jun 16, 2018), Wmrra13 (Jan 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Doug button head screws would have probably worked well for you their heads have a larger diameter than socket head

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    You're right Frank, thought of that but you know how it is when you get your mind set on something, just wanted to use socket heads cause the rest of the hardware is, but could have changed them all to buttons.

Thanks

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 5, 2018)

Supporting Member Kwick Aronson's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Wow. I have a whole tub of Titanium Allen, Torx and hex discards from a bolt machining company.
    You just made my project of making odd motorcycle pivots and the like one heck of a lot easier.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I have a metal canister full of perfectly good allen wrenches; I'm pretty sure they're multiplying in the darker recesses of my tool boxes :-) This is a neat hack.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Allen Bolt Modification to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Great idea, sure you can always buy something but you could even use larger screws, using the allen hex in the chuck was a great idea.

Now how am I gonna remember this?

Ralph

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbotics View Post
    You're right Frank, thought of that but you know how it is when you get your mind set on something, just wanted to use socket heads cause the rest of the hardware is, but could have changed them all to buttons.

Thanks

Doug
    Still a good trick using the 1/4" allen to drive it. Seems I tried this once and ran into a root diameter issue leaving a small void...but then again I once got chewed out for using a 1/4-28 instead of a 1/4-20 because I thought the engagement was critical to what I was doing and the difference in the cost of a box of them was <$1 at the time. Who knew it mattered @¿@, but then again I think Button heads are classy.

Thanks Doug!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Doug; a cut off hex wrench isn't wasted at all. Before T-handled hex wrenches, especially freakish long buzzards for machine repair, we did our own. Drill good quality rod closest possible size or .001 under hex size across flats, Square, chamfer and press a hex section in & bottomed out. Roughly speaking 10+ diameters depth will retain the hex indefinitely. I'll bet a couple from way back still hide out in a drawer somewhere.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Hi,

Cool trick!

How did you hold the bolts to do the center drilling? Put nuts on and held them in the 3-jaw?

Thanks,
    Tyler

Thread Information