Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: more adjustments; Basin Wrench

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I can still remember a design from Popular Mechanics seen when I was just a kid. It consisted of a (spring-type) clothes pin, the two wires wrapped around the tips. The pin was clamped onto an aspirin tablet. When it got wet the aspirin dissolved, the wires touched, and the alarm was sounded.
    That was published back when Popular Mechanics was still about mechanics

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 7, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    That was published back when Popular Mechanics was still about mechanics
    Even as a grade schooler I waited anxiously each month for the postman to bring the latest issue which I devoured as soon as my Dad laid it down. So sad to see it, and Popular Science become nothing more than a collection of advertisements.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Yes, the magazine era as a whole seems to be fading rapidly. I do miss their glossy polish, readability, and careful curation, but they can't keep pace with the sheer volume of information we now require for intellectual satisfaction. Farm Show was and is still good for homemade tool ideas, but now forums are a much more valuable modernization of the classic "Readers' Tips" sections of such magazines.

That is an interesting point about using water alarms to self-insure. There are some indicators of insurance companies recognizing the value of such alarms. Of course the ideal system shuts off the water in the event of a leak, instead of just sounding an alarm that's only audible to people present in the house at the time of the leak. There are commercial systems available, like Floodstop, but their cost limits their utility to niche applications like a 2nd floor washing machine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    With everyone (except me) in possession of a smart phone, there must be an app that would allow the water sensor to telephone you at the first drip. Then, even if driving in the fast lane, you could use another app to adjust the wi-fi equipped water shut-off valve.

A quick Google indicates...

https://hackernoon.com/how-much-time...7-e5f90a0b10a6

that folks now spend four hours a day on their smart phones.

It boggles the mind.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    In response to Jon, Marv, and Frank S laments on demise and degradation of print material...
    None are old enough to be members of the real surge of print, yet share our vast individual creative foundations on it never the less.
    In fact, a memorable series of HMT.net posts ascertain it.
    Just as others continue to do, I hunt out printed reference material on a regular basis. Only the condition is important, age not a concern. It's no generalization older material has more valuable content; to infill, reinforce, categorize, and preserve our personal trove.
    As such, we experience a 'golden age of print' one by one, commencing with first realization of "I want that".
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 7, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    a friend of mine saw fit to send me a new subscription of popular mechanics. While I thanked him for the thought we were both taken aback with the lack of content.
    Advertising has led to the demise of many printed media. Just as commercials breaks has just about killed television
    Does anyone remember how the Alfred Hitchcock hour used to air? back in the day the He would come on in the beginning of the show give a short narrative of the upcoming program then warn us of the commercial break then the program would run to about mid story he would break in and have a series oc commercials then right near the end another set of ads would air just before the we found out who done it
    If you watch a rerun of those old programs today there will be no less than a dozen such breaks between his telling of the impending breaks.
    I was trying to watch a documentary on something a while back that I really wanted to see but the 1 hour documentary took 2 1/2 hours to air it was broken up so bad that I found it nearly impossible to even remember is the show was still on or if it had gone off and another had taken its place.
    I finally found where the documentary had been published on line and downloaded it sans any ads

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Trash and hype seem to prevail, against our wishes.
    It's slow at work, imminent layoff. So along with a cover/ resume update, I've dropped in on HMT.net for relief. Then back to the web for leads. I'd forward to any who'd like some dry reading... maybe probably
    Like the ruin befalling Popular Mechanics and such, you can search jobsites for "Toolmaker, Precision Machinist, Prototype, Machinery Maintenance, Millwright -CNC". Quotes, -filter and all.
    Upon returning to email, there will be the we've found x amount for you that includes waiters, baristas, clerks, sales, Avon and any number of franchise names, Uber and Lyft...So out of 387 whatever, 10 adhere to the search, MAYBE within the driving radius specified. Turns out naught but a ploy to present advertisement plastered all over desired content. 16 pages deep to boot. Opinion: The pattern described originates with LinkedIn and Facebook. Despite 'recommendations' I have NO presence at either.
    WTF? Are there more than one Kansas City, MO and 64131 zip? I try to locate leads, then circumvent the site by accessing the actual company.
    I'll not comment on the commercials touting same websites to HR dipshits, making their job sound so tasking, inundated with applicants.
    Ooops, did it again.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 7, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Here you go TM51. Don't wear yourself out ranting. Let the professionals do it for you...

---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Good one Marv funny how excerpts from old movies always seem to be timeless

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Marv and Frank, yep ol' Peter Finch pretty well nailed the tone of Beale character. What a performance.
    I suppress it, but it simmers below the surface continually. I'm hardly the only one with same affliction.
    I remember that night in the the theater. Few had seen it, spoilers hadn't been invented yet. Audience raised the roof for that scene; after the initial shock.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information