Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorized weld positioning table

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Lightbulb Motorized weld positioning table

This is my Franken-cobbled motorized weld positioning table! It's made from a Harbor Freight trailer hand winch and 12 volt worm drive motor. (a wiper motor can also be used)

The winch itself is NOT very useful as a winch (lol) as this has about a 40:1 ratio. You would spend most of the afternoon winching your car or boat up using this. Also, both gears are not hardened so using them to pull a heavy load would wear them out quickly! (has terrible reviews)

It is however a GREAT starting place to build a rotary weld positioner! Just cannibalize the needed parts; worm drive, drive gear and housing and your well on your way. There are many parts left over (bonus) that can be used for future projects. (see pics)

This version features both horizontal and vertical positions. I was not going for beauty but rather function and I think I nailed it! lol Probably won't even paint this, just use it as is. (and make improvements as needed)

I've run this from an adjustable power supply from 2 volts up to 30! You won't be welding anything at 30 volts but down around 3-3.2 volts looks about right. (have to time it yet, I heard 1/8" per second is about correct for Tig welding)

If you want fancy, this one is not for you but if you want a cheap & functioning positioner, this fits the bill!

Motorized weld positioning table-1.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-2.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-3.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-4.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-5.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-6.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-7.jpgMotorized weld positioning table-8.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Jan 6, 2020), clydeman (Jan 6, 2020), Jon (Jan 9, 2020), Kevic (Jan 7, 2020), lanemfg (Mar 19, 2020), n9dug (Jan 13, 2020), Saltfever (Jan 4, 2020), sossol (Nov 21, 2023), tooly (Jan 13, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Rotary Welding Positioner to our Welding Tables category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Jan 4, 2020)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Very nice, Bobs. What kind of adjustable power supply are you using and do you use a foot control?

I bought a couple of those winches a few years ago for 2 projects not started yet. One is for a CNC spin indexer and the other for a car rotisserie. Looks like I should have bought 3 of them!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 4, 2020)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    A good source for a motor like this is AS&S https://www.sciplus.com/car-seat-12v...-motor-49248-p

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 7, 2020), Saltfever (Jan 7, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    The worm drive motor you're using is a power-seat unit and they are available all over for around $14. I use them for many things...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jan 7, 2020)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Very nice, Bobs. What kind of adjustable power supply are you using and do you use a foot control?
    I have this power supply:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will need either a foot pedal or some other way of starting/stopping but so far, I haven't had time to even test it yet! lol

Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    The worm drive motor you're using is a power-seat unit and they are available all over for around $14. I use them for many things...
    They are great! I use this same motor as a hand held cross slide power feed and have another motor like this for a power X axis on my mill. Both are in my tools area on this site.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post

I bought a couple of those winches a few years ago for 2 projects not started yet. One is for a CNC spin indexer and the other for a car rotisserie. Looks like I should have bought 3 of them!
    I found something else that works great for projects like yours that is worm gear driven: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's called a "slack adjuster" and is some type of brake adjuster for a big rig truck. This might work better for a rotisserie. I got this idea from someone on youtube that put one on an engine stand so he could easily/safely rotate the engine!

I bought one for a project I'm planning that is still in the planning stages but that's top secret yet! lol
    Last edited by bobs409; Jan 7, 2020 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Yes, bob slack-adjusters are a good source for a worm drive. I have been looking on Craig's list locally for a couple of years but no joy. They are brake adjusters and when they reach their safety limits they are just thrown away. They had no value and were usually tossed in the dumpster. I don't know what has happened but I can't find "free" ones anywhere!

Many thanks for the good ideas and the link!

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Did you ever get this running? In particular speed control is so important in welding; what did you do for speed control?

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I've run this from an adjustable power supply like the one shown below from 2 volts up to 30! You won't be welding anything at 30 volts but down around 3-3.2 volts looks about right. (I heard 1/8" per second revolution is about correct for Tig welding)

Motorized weld positioning table-htb1qzjpxe_rk1rjy0fcq6zevvxaq.jpg

Thread Information