Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mower blade sharpener - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Aug 15, 2022)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting idea, but I use my very old Craftsman 9inch angle grinder with a grinding disc and mount the mower blade in the vise. A few minutes grinding and then balance, we are done.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Just a gimmick!

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    I find that it's a waste of time sharpening blades merely to cut grass. From my experience, and not having a bowling green lawn, is that it's the speed of the steel edge against the blade of grass which does the severing not the sharpness of the edge, which wears because of hitting debris other than grass.

The other main wearing part is the upturn of the blade which shoots the grass etc into catcher. That seems to affect cutting performance the most for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    I find that it's a waste of time sharpening blades merely to cut grass. From my experience, and not having a bowling green lawn, is that it's the speed of the steel edge against the blade of grass which does the severing not the sharpness of the edge, which wears because of hitting debris other than grass.

The other main wearing part is the upturn of the blade which shoots the grass etc into catcher. That seems to affect cutting performance the most for me.
    Yeah just install new blades when the up kick for the mulching action wears through toss em and install another set, because there usually is not enough left of the blade to sharpen. Then again, I don't have St. Augustine grass either. I like to cut my grass almost so short it is like scalping the lawn that way I hopefully won't have to mow again the whole season. Never works out that way but I keep trying anyway. The only bigger waste of time than having to mow would be to water and fertilize so I would have to mow again. Sometimes think about just getting some goats instead.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    I've tried goats, they eat absolutely everything, shrubs, leaves off low hanging branches, even blackberries. But they're much more like a pet than sheep, quite affectionate actually and come when you call them.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    I've tried goats, they eat absolutely everything, shrubs, leaves off low hanging branches, even blackberries. But they're much more like a pet than sheep, quite affectionate actually and come when you call them.
    Where sheep will eat the grasses right down to the roots and leave many of the weeds a goat will eat the weeds as they go along and not literally pull the roots out of the ground unless they run out of easier things to eat.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    What a waste of time and effort, take the blade off and you only need to sharpen the first 3 or 4 inches. The sharper yo make the blade the quicker it wears down and about 45° is a good enough angle - stronger and less damage to the blade.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Pearson For This Useful Post:

mccwho (Aug 18, 2022)

Thread Information