Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: My cooking tool

Thanks

purplewg's Tools

My cooking tool

I hope this might be considered a tool. It is a tool I use to cook with. I bought a couple old propane tanks and made this. Two cooking areas. One is the horizontal tank and one is in the vertical tank. The firebox is in the bottom of the vertical tank. I love cooking on this when I get the time and food turns out sooooo good.

My cooking tool-wildpig1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purplewg For This Useful Post:

itsdasmoke (Jul 20, 2013), Jon (Feb 1, 2013), kbalch (Feb 1, 2013)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Thanks purplewg! This one's been added to our Miscellaneous category, and to your homemade tools page: purplewg's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

BBQ
    tags: propane, tank, BBQ

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    purplewg,
    Nice smoker.....what size tanks did you use and were they new or used? I'm looking to build something similar,just picked up a small 5x8 trailer recently and looking for design ideas!
    THANKS!

Thanks

purplewg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdasmoke View Post
    purplewg,
    Nice smoker.....what size tanks did you use and were they new or used? I'm looking to build something similar,just picked up a small 5x8 trailer recently and looking for design ideas!
    THANKS!
    So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had open heart surgery and am just now getting back into the swing of things again.

The tanks are what I call 120 gallon tanks. I picked them up at two different places on Craigslist. Both had some gas. I would recommend having a pro open them up for you although I did it myself. These things can be really dangerous to put a torch or any spark near them with even residual gas in them.

Thanks
    No worries,your health is much more important! Thanks for the info,I did locate one tank on CL but it was way to big (300 gal I think) so I am still looking.
    I do have a friend who has been welding fo 45 years and has opened these tanks up iin the past I have already talked to him about making the inital cuts (Momma didn't raise no dummy...........lol)
    Thanks for the info,stay well,heal quickly and keep the faith....................
    Last edited by itsdasmoke; Sep 10, 2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

purplewg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdasmoke View Post
    No worries,your health is much more important! Thanks for the info,I did locate one tank on CL but it was way to big (300 gal I think) so I am still looking.
    I do have a friend who has been welding fo 45 years and has opened these tanks up iin the past I have already talked to him about making the inital cuts (Momma didn't raise no dummy...........lol)
    Thanks for the info,stay well,heal quickly and keep the faith....................
    itsdasmoke, google "the smoke ring". Great people more than willing to help you and there are some great builders there to make sure you get the correct ratio's. A 300 gallon sounds like it would make a great smoker. Cut the end off and put a firebox on it or even better yet, make a DP Clone (Diamond Plate). They are very popular with builders. I went with mine because I had this picture in my mind and I had to build it. lol

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information