Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Welding Table

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I can tell you for a fact that a filled 125 cu ft Argon bottle costs $304 out the door. I sometimes see used bottle sets in San Antonio fairly reasonable but when I try to find out exactly what's imprinted on the collars and the last test dates they always seem to get elusive and flaky so buh bye and good luck.

That reminds me - I'd almost forgotten about living in West Texas and how it wasn't unusual to drive 90 miles to see a movie and then 90 back afterwards. After I stopped pushin' Petes and KWs around the continent I don't want to go anywhere.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    If buying used cylinders I would look to an auction but the test date is very important less than 12 years since the last date or pass it by. the collar name is not as important as long as you have the auction receipt you can get them exchanged at most any gas supply just have to sign a couple of papers. the little 125 Cf Argon or Oxygen and the 98 Act are all considered customer owned by most gas supply houses so they don't' say much if anything when you bring 1 in for exchange especially if you have regularly done trade with them for a while.
    I have 3 Praxair 300 cf oxygen cylinders I need to get put into their system their store is still 75 miles away but they have a delivery route to the feed store here in town only 14 miles from me the problem is they are old enough that I have to have them hydro'ed either 50 or 75 bucks each. if they fail I'm out that much cash.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 11, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I just put my table to actual use this morning and I can see that it's gonna improve my life. I made a box to house the DC components that're part of my Horror Freight welder conversion (the welder is too full for them to fit so another box was needed) out of red steel building purlins. I believe this is the first time that I've ever made a welded steel box that wasn't warped when I was finished.

My Welding Table-dc-box.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I just put my table to actual use this morning and I can see that it's gonna improve my life. I made a box to house the DC components that're part of my Horror Freight welder conversion (the welder is too full for them to fit so another box was needed) out of red steel building purlins. I believe this is the first time that I've ever made a welded steel box that wasn't warped when I was finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC box.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	30692
    Isn't it amazing how much better things fit up and stay in place when you have a solid work surface to start out from
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That's the fact Jack!

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I scored another free microwave oven yesterday and later made the second choke needed using the transformer core from it. Today I filled that box with the homemade chokes and a massive bridge rectifier and wired it all with welding cable to some Dinse jacks to bring the connections outside. Made some side cover plates from the microwave oven cover panel and screwed them to the box and the DC box for my Horror Freight welder conversion is a done deal. Tomorrow I'll rewire the welder so that I can plug jumper cables into more Dinse jacks to change between AC and DC welding. I'm gainin' on it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information