Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Near miss from demolition debris - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 14, 2020), baja (Feb 14, 2020), Dragonhand (Feb 15, 2020), jimfols (Feb 13, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 17, 2020), Seedtick (Feb 13, 2020), Tonyg (Feb 17, 2020)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Ages ago I worked with a landlord renovating his buildings (he bought remuddled buildings and returned them to their original appearance). We were removing the stucco fascade from an 1850s apartment building. I'd cut the concrete in squares with a hammer and chisel (it was easier than heaving a machine tool), cutting or tearing the metal lathe, then tossing the chunks to the ground. This stuff was ~1 1/2" thick.
    One day we were working at the second floor level on the scaffold. We're both the sort who tend to see how far we can push our luck, and we were cutting bigger and bigger chunks. We lost our grip on a roughly 2'x2' chunk. We both grabbed at it, but only managed to impart a forward rotation to it. It hit the porch in a spin, rolled off the porch, down a 4' tall ~45* bank, across the sidewalk, curb and a few feet of the street. We both stared, dumbfounded as it rolled toward my car, getting smaller and smaller. By the time it reached my car it was only about 4" round and it fell over harmlessly.
    We had a good laugh at what happened and our deer-in-headlights reaction, then decided to stick with smaller chunks.

It would have been youtube gold if youtube and camera phones had existed.

Neil

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Feb 13, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 17, 2020)

Thanks
    Are those bricks?

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Ages ago I worked with a landlord renovating his buildings (he bought remuddled buildings and returned them to their original appearance). We were removing the stucco fascade from an 1850s apartment building. I'd cut the concrete in squares with a hammer and chisel (it was easier than heaving a machine tool), cutting or tearing the metal lathe, then tossing the chunks to the ground. This stuff was ~1 1/2" thick.
    One day we were working at the second floor level on the scaffold. We're both the sort who tend to see how far we can push our luck, and we were cutting bigger and bigger chunks. We lost our grip on a roughly 2'x2' chunk. We both grabbed at it, but only managed to impart a forward rotation to it. It hit the porch in a spin, rolled off the porch, down a 4' tall ~45* bank, across the sidewalk, curb and a few feet of the street. We both stared, dumbfounded as it rolled toward my car, getting smaller and smaller. By the time it reached my car it was only about 4" round and it fell over harmlessly.
    We had a good laugh at what happened and our deer-in-headlights reaction, then decided to stick with smaller chunks.

It would have been youtube gold if youtube and camera phones had existed.

Neil
    I love free lessons on what not to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    I love free lessons on what not to do.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information