Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Needing advice about angle grinders...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    While we are talking grinders, what kind and how much lube should be in the gearbox?
    Thanks.
    Most of the older grinders came with a lube that had a high paraffin content and were nearly packed full at the factory And would outlast 3 sets of carbon brushes and at least 1 complete motor rewind.
    new grinders today have a much thinner grease in them and I've had some that would wear out before the first set of brushes
    If you are filling the cavity with new grease try to choose one that has a high melting point and at the same time will readily yield to be drawn between moving parts,
    I like a grease with either molybdenum disulfide or lithium hydroxide and paraffin as the thickener.
    By the way addition to my previous post when it comes to the amperage draw those figures were for 120vac for 230/240 vac the numbers would be halved

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Jan 4, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It would be hard for me to choose one brand over another anymore I've owned about every brand you can imagine but for the past several years I have mostly hit the pawn shops and second hand tool shops for my grinders. Some times I can make a deal and buy half a dozen for $5.00 apiece some of them will last a couple of years while others may last only a few months. When I had my shop and several employees It really didn't matter what the brand was none of them would last much longer than the warrantee. Didn't seem to matter if the grinder cost $20.00 or $200.00. A $13.00 HF 4 1/2" might last me a years whereas a $100.00 Metablo or Hitathi Or Mikita might last a worker only a few months

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Dec 11, 2019)

Thanks

Little Rabbit's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I need both a 4.5" for precise cutting and a 7" for more aggressive weld metal removal and surface prep. I've used the hell out of a Hitachi 4.5" grinder and it's still hanging in there well. I also am a fan of Makita super thin 4.5" cutoff wheels because they cut through steel quickly (though they wear down quickly too). A Makita 7" angle grinder is hard to beat for bulk material removal. I recommend for either that you buy a pair of kevlar lined cut resistant gloves and a face shield because it's better than any pair of glasses.
    Hey Crusty,
    I inherited a 9" Makita grinder over Christmas. Man oh Man! I used to think the superthin discs cut nicely, but a 9" disc through spring steel put a smile on my mug. and (ignoring obvious safety factors) when they wear down I can use them as grinding discs on my 5" :-)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information