Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New handle

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools

New handle

Had this old hatchet laying around the shop and decided it needed a new handle. The tang on the hatchet was steel so I cut out a few leather washers and also some washers cut from the bottom of a white plastic bucket. Brass washers were used for the ends. Ground off the rough edges and smoothed out and polished the handle and another project finished. More ideas tumbling around in this ole head, gotta get back to work.New handle-037.jpgNew handle-038.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to frugalolegeezer For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 14, 2020), AvaChava (Jan 12, 2018), baja (Feb 14, 2020), blkadder (Jan 4, 2017), C-Bag (Dec 30, 2016), greyhoundollie (Feb 15, 2020), gunsgt1863 (May 19, 2018), high-side (Feb 15, 2020), Jon (Jan 4, 2017), oldcaptainrusty (May 19, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 31, 2016), PJs (Jan 2, 2017), sossol (May 18, 2018)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Love it. I remember those kinds of handles on hatchets when I was a kid. Never see them anymore. I've got a couple of hi end dead blow hammers that plastic handles have started shattering and rather than toss them I've been trying to figure out how to put new handles on them. So what's the final finish? Like polyurethane?

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Feb 15, 2020), Paul Jones (Dec 31, 2016), PJs (Jan 2, 2017)

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools
    Hey Paul
    The best thing I have found for finishing handles of wood or leather and sometimes I will use this even on metal to keep it from tarnishing is rust-oleum crystal clear enamel. Absolutely the best finish I have found. I have tried varnish, polyurethane and just do not have good luck with them. This enamel dries to the touch in just a few minutes and I really like it. Good luck and thanks for the interest.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frugalolegeezer For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 14, 2020), greyhoundollie (Feb 15, 2020), mklotz (Jan 5, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 5, 2017), PJs (Jan 2, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jan 4, 2017)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice Job Frugalolegeezer! I like your mindset and that is a nice old shingler's hatchet I believe. Curious of the brand...couldn't read it from the photo. Most impressed with making your own leather stack with the bucket spacers!! Bravo on that. The knife maker guys have various stacker leathers for fairly cheap and cheerful. Here are a couple of links: KnifeKits, and Twin Leather Co.

I restored my dads old hunting knife a while back and was able to save the leather with some light sanding and used enamel as you did. It felt like the leather liked it more than a varnish I spot tested with so that's what I used. Still have to build a new sheath for it but kind of hate to because dad had engraved his initials in it...but it's in bad shape on the inside.

Great Job bringing the old hatchet back to life. Thanks for sharing! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 14, 2020), AvaChava (Jan 12, 2018), baja (Feb 14, 2020), C-Bag (Jan 2, 2017), greyhoundollie (Feb 15, 2020), Jon (Jan 4, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 5, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Fabulous links Wiz! Especially Twin Leather, they have tutorials and are half the price of the other, plus many different patterns. It makes sense once you see it but I would never known it was called a stacked washer handle.

Thanks frugalolgeezer and PJs for the info. Wonder why enamel works the best? Another of those mysteries?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 2, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks frugalolegeezer! We've added your Hatchet Handle to our Woodworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: frugalolegeezer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    I love the look of the handle. It reminds me of the handle on my old KABAR. Thanks for posting.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    frugalolegeezer,

Thank you for the tip about Rust-oleum crystal clear enamel. I use the spray can version for parts I machine from brass and want to keep the bright polished brass appearance. The finish lasts for years and looks as good as the day the parts we machined.

Paul

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 14, 2020), PJs (Jan 5, 2017)

Thanks

AvaChava's Tools

Finally, a solution!

Quote Originally Posted by frugalolegeezer View Post
    Had this old hatchet laying around the shop and decided it needed a new handle. The tang on the hatchet was steel so I cut out a few leather washers and also some washers cut from the bottom of a white plastic bucket. Brass washers were used for the ends. Ground off the rough edges and smoothed out and polished the handle and another project finished. More ideas tumbling around in this ole head, gotta get back to work.
    I have almost an identical carpenter's hatchet that the handle rotted off years ago. I never suspected it was possible to replace the once beautiful handle with pieces as the handle shank is ribbed/flat. Now that I'm retired I have time to find the parts and give this loyal hatchet a fitting grip.

Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thanks

AvaChava's Tools
    Thanks to PJs also for the links!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AvaChava For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Feb 15, 2020)

Thread Information