Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: No twist Dremel collet wrench

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

No twist Dremel collet wrench

The wrench supplied with the Dremel collet chuck is just a thin piece of stamped sheet metal. While it works if used carefully, its thinness means that it's easy to twist it on the chuck and this makes it fiddly to use. What's needed is a thicker wrench that grasps the chuck over a larger area.

All my 3/8" wrenches that are thick enough are parts of sets which I don't want to break up for a dedicated use. In addition, I want the dedicated wrench to be short to fit in the storage box with the other Dremel accessories.

The solution was to make a wrench. A scrap of hex stock was centrally drilled to 3/8" and then a 3/8" slot was milled to intersect that hole. A short chunk of 3/8" rod was attached to form a short handle; more than long enough for the slight torque needed to seat/release the collet nut.

The resulting chunky wrench can grasp the entire length of the collet nut so twisting is no longer a problem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 3, 2022), baja (Mar 5, 2019), bruce.desertrat (Mar 4, 2019), rgsparber (Mar 4, 2019), Sleykin (Jun 11, 2021), Tule (Mar 5, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

This is an improvement to the all too-thin collett wrenches supplied by Dremel. I worn-out several Dremel collets due to the old style Dremel wrenches.

Thank you for posting this,

Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    I personally like to use that easy-twist nose cap which is included to most dremels.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...twist-nose-cap

That kind of wrench would be great, but i would lose it quite fast.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Dremel Collet Wrench to our Rotary Tools category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    I personally like to use that easy-twist nose cap which is included to most dremels.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...twist-nose-cap

That kind of wrench would be great, but i would lose it quite fast.
    I looked right at it and even saw the flats yet it did not register that it was a wrench. Works fine if the chucked tool passes through the hole. I often use 1" diameter wheels and they would be a problem.

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The wrench supplied with the Dremel collet chuck is just a thin piece of stamped sheet metal. While it works if used carefully, its thinness means that it's easy to twist it on the chuck and this makes it fiddly to use. What's needed is a thicker wrench that grasps the chuck over a larger area.

All my 3/8" wrenches that are thick enough are parts of sets which I don't want to break up for a dedicated use. In addition, I want the dedicated wrench to be short to fit in the storage box with the other Dremel accessories.

The solution was to make a wrench. A scrap of hex stock was centrally drilled to 3/8" and then a 3/8" slot was milled to intersect that hole. A short chunk of 3/8" rod was attached to form a short handle; more than long enough for the slight torque needed to seat/release the collet nut.

The resulting chunky wrench can grasp the entire length of the collet nut so twisting is no longer a problem.

Big improvement over the stamped wrench. My variation of your idea was to make it from 1/2" aluminum extruded channel. The inside width is a sloppy sliding fit. I took a length 1.5" long, drilled a 5/32" hole in the center, and then slotted it out on my saw. Works ok given the small forces needed. I'd include a picture but keep getting an error. Maybe there is a file size limitation.

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I looked right at it and even saw the flats yet it did not register that it was a wrench. Works fine if the chucked tool passes through the hole. I often use 1" diameter wheels and they would be a problem.

Rick
    I'm not sure how that thing works but describing it as a "nose cap" and "Because the EZ Twist™ Nose Cap becomes part of your Dremel rotary tool, you’ll always have your wrench at hand" leads me to envision something like this...

The soft material of the replacement nose cap allows the user to pull the end of the nose cap forward until the wrench flats engage the flats on the collet nut. With the shaft locked, it then takes only a slight twist of the nose cap material to loosen the nut's grip on the collet enough to remove/replace the burr being used.

They would do themselves a service by including a short video of its use in their advertisements. I doubt I'm the only person who doesn't fully grok the use of this accessory.

Well, I've always said you can find anything on the interweb so here is the video of the thing in action...

I didn't realize that you have to unscrew it from the nose of the tool to use it; I thought it just pulled forward. That introduces a whole new level of awkwardness. What were they thinking? I'll stick with my clunky homemade wrench, thank you very much.

In addition, it appears that the wrench is the same thin piece of sheet metal that wiggles back and forth on the nut. No thanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Mar 9, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information