Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ homemade tool plans, tool build guides, ebooks, and much more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: No Vacuum Water Bath Dust Collector

  1. #1
    TigerCreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 68 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TigerCreek's Tools

    No Vacuum Water Bath Dust Collector

    I got tired of the vacuum noise and came up with a smaller, quieter system to remove dust from my blast cabinet.
    Inexpensive and works very well.
    45 Best Harbor Freight Tool Modifications


  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TigerCreek For This Useful Post:

    DIYer (06-23-2020), dubbby (06-23-2020), high-side (07-03-2020), Jon (06-25-2020), odd one (06-28-2020), Scotsman Hosie (06-25-2020), Sleykin (06-29-2020), Toolmaker51 (06-28-2020)

  3. #2
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    DIYer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,090
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500+ Homemade Tool Plans



    Thanks TigerCreek! We've added your Water Bath Dust Collector to our Dust Collectors category,
    as well as to your builder page: TigerCreek's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:



    Forge Build Guide


  4. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCreek View Post
    I got tired of the vacuum noise and came up with a smaller, quieter system to remove dust from my blast cabinet.
    Inexpensive and works very well.
    Very nice idea, thanks.

  5. #4
    TigerCreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 68 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TigerCreek's Tools
    Thanks. Itís working great as an alternative to my previous vacuum system.

  6. #5
    Supporting Member Saltfever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 62 Times in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Very creative and great idea. I would have liked to see you actually blasting a part which in itself creates copious debris. That visual would have been a great validation.

  7. #6
    TigerCreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 68 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TigerCreek's Tools
    You are correct. My original use of this setup, minus the bath, was used in another cabinet that is used exclusively for dirty blasting. I built on that success to add the water bath and scale down my other cabinet.

  8. #7
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pipe clamp could have helped fit the PVC to the fan. I am sure the fan has a power rating that dictates the amperage requirements of the ac adaptor. The filter material probably adds surface area. Does any particulate come out the top of the modified collection system? If so a collection bag of some type might be necessary to collect that rather than allow it to enter your work space. Overall really great compact idea for a one tool application.

  9. #8
    TigerCreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 68 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TigerCreek's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick79 View Post
    A pipe clamp could have helped fit the PVC to the fan. I am sure the fan has a power rating that dictates the amperage requirements of the ac adaptor. The filter material probably adds surface area. Does any particulate come out the top of the modified collection system? If so a collection bag of some type might be necessary to collect that rather than allow it to enter your work space. Overall really great compact idea for a one tool application.
    I mention all of these things in the video.
    I found that the "trick" to controlling the efficiency of the unit is the height of the water in the bucket.
    A full day of blasting Saturday and I had only the slightest bit of dust on the blades of the fan.
    Adding a bag or top collector that would not impede the flow would certainly be an option if you found it necessary.

  10. #9
    Supporting Member Sleykin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sleykin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCreek View Post
    I mention all of these things in the video.
    I found that the "trick" to controlling the efficiency of the unit is the height of the water in the bucket.
    A full day of blasting Saturday and I had only the slightest bit of dust on the blades of the fan.
    Adding a bag or top collector that would not impede the flow would certainly be an option if you found it necessary.
    If the small amount of dust that escapes is objectionable you could always exhaust it outside.

  11. #10
    TigerCreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 68 Times in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TigerCreek's Tools
    Thatís how this process all started.
    I have another cabinet that I do the really nasty blasting in and visibility was terrible. I hooked up one of these fans and exhausted the cabinet outside. Worked great. Then I began working on what I have here for inside blasting and to replace the vacuum.


    Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.



    eBooks for Supporters

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to TigerCreek For This Useful Post:

    Sleykin (06-30-2020)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •