Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Now this is an anvil

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Now this is an anvil

At least to me that is
    I left my homemade 250 LB Peter Wright style anvil in Kuwait when I left and have contemplated making another one for years I even have a hunk of 4 1/2" thick steel to burn one out of but the piece of steel is so nice being 11 feet long by 12inches there are so many other things I could make out of it that every time I think about taking a torch to it I quickly come up with something else to do to take my mind off of whacking up the chunk of steel
    My friend who brought me the care package of tooling drove up with this today it was the other item of the care package he told me he had for me.
    OK its a box I see that but it is also a heavy box
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_140116an.jpg
    What does it say to do
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_141928an.jpg
    Well take the picture already Yep he held the camera upside down and my photo editor shows it right side up
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_140717an.jpg
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_141514an.jpg
    This 400 LB hunk of steel looks like a really good base for my new anvil
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_155337anb.jpg
    Perfect fit but 2 inches low in height
    Now this is an anvil-20201102_172318anb.jpg
    I don't care the country or origin Steel is steel and it has a hard ring to it besides it didn't cost me actual money I would have probably spent the $750.00 he paid for it on guns or ammo anyway

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 2, 2020 at 08:48 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 4, 2020), CharlesWaugh (Nov 3, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Nov 4, 2020), Scotty12 (Nov 3, 2020)

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Veddy, veddy nice!
    [jealous]

2000 Tool Plans
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    It was defiantly not something I ever expected and today he showed up with some combination wrenches which now makes my set complete through 2 1/2" I have rarely in the past ever needed a combination wrench larger than 2 1'2" and only 1 time ever needed a 3" socket But I no longer work on some of the larger equipment that I used to work on

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Frank,
    I'm curious, are you sending me subliminal messages? Two or three weeks ago you posted a gearbox jack. about a year ago I had to fabricate almost the exact jack from scrap, the only difference was that you used a hydraulic cylinder and I used an old 750kg home trolley jack,..suitably modified. I always meant to post it but never got round to it, now,....why bother.
    Last week I managed to acquire two pieces of 5" hydraulic ram rod 12 inches long, and some 5/8" plate, why? to make an anvil, yu'ole got there first again.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    i like your anvil stand frank. You are nearly 1/2 of a ton there.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    old kodger, there is a not so remote possibility I may be doing just that. Among the various mental disorders I am very probably afflicted with besides the obvious ones people close to me or who are around me frequently can readily spot. I know for a stone cold fact I am severely afflicted with E T A S (extreme tool acquisition syndrome). Additionally I frequently have lucid dreams of things where I am seemingly aware that I am either myself dreaming or in someone else's mind dreaming or doing something or experiencing having done something or been somewhere.
    One example of this was a few years ago I while doing something I thought you know I think I should get some 16 x16 x4 inch concrete blocks so I called my friend and asked him to stop on his next trip out and buy a few of them he said well I'm almost to your place now but I'll see what I can do it wasn't 10 minutes later he showed up with a load of my stuff he was hauling out from the old place and packed in and around the stuff there were over a dozen of the very blocks I was thinking I wanted. A couple days before he had been to an auction and saw them thinking I might need of want some of them someday he bid on them. So he had already bought what I was wanting before I knew I wanted them. About a month later we were at a place looking for some truck parts when we spied the 53 foot conex box now we knew why I wanted the blocks.
    This crazy anvil that he brought me was something he knew I wanted so he bought it. A lot of things he hauls in are things he knows I used to own similar items long ago.
    I have been trying to get rid of old tires for years this week I decided that I might as well line them up in a row then fill them with packed dirt and stack more rows on top of that to build a retaining barrier to prevent soil erosion on the South side of my shop. Yesterday another friend showed for a visit his pickup was loaded with a dozen or more truck tires that he was hauling to place where he would have to pay to dispose of them.
    I asked how did you know that I am going to need more tires than I have for a project I am about to start. He said he didnt know I wanted them
    Your jack that you made still needs to be posted it is never about one already being posted on HMT.net by someone else first second thrid or how many a like or similar has been posted all tool builds and tool acquisitions by everyone are equally important. not only to the person posting them but to give others ideas for builds or to know who may have something You never know when someone you may not have even met may show up at your place in search of someone who has the capability to do something for them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 4, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    i like your anvil stand frank. You are nearly 1/2 of a ton there.
    Yep I doubt if I will ever have a problem with it not being a solid surface to strike

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    it may be time for me to seriously begin thinking about a good power hammer as well now that I no longer need the thick bits of steel I have laying around that I was going to use to make an anvil I could think about using some of it for a power hammer
    . there are several built by others posted here that I really like

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    So in reference to unexpected arrivals, of say, anvils, at least you can save the "it followed me home" for later.
    I can get a few 10" cast pipe fittings, Ell's, Tee's etc. These me thinks make a pair of excellent feet of new to me circle shear. Facing Tee's correctly could mount motor to power the shear, and other supporting a feed table.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    So in reference to unexpected arrivals, of say, anvils, at least you can save the "it followed me home" for later.
    I can get a few 10" cast pipe fittings, Ell's, Tee's etc. These me thinks make a pair of excellent feet of new to me circle shear. Facing Tee's correctly could mount motor to power the shear, and other supporting a feed table.
    if they are malleable iron as in threaded or flanged with holes they can be welded easy enough
    Soil pipe fittings not so much , brazing or lead bonding is your best bet there

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information