Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old bench lathe

Thanks

celsoari's Tools

old bench lathe

Hello, my name is Celso and I'm from Brazil. I bought a lathe to reform and I don't know its brand and type. Can anyone help me with this information?
    Attached photos
    thankful
    Celso Ari
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old bench lathe-20191106_114923.jpg   old bench lathe-20191107_180622.jpg   old bench lathe-20191107_180632.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    I don't know, but the metal badge riveted to it seems to carry the Mercedes logo. Perhaps that's a good place to start.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    It's got double-V ways, similar to the South Bend lathes, which would be a very good feature. Doesn't look like it has threading gears, or much provision for them, which would be not so good, but not terrible, either. Any lathe is better than no lathe! If you're not already a practiced machinist, it could be a good machine to learn on, for not much cost. If you are a machinist already, you may find it frustrating, but you may also have more fun figuring out how to make it do what you want. Good luck in the restoration, and have fun with it!

Bill in OKC

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Picture Please

Quote Originally Posted by celsoari View Post
    Hello, my name is Celso and I'm from Brazil. I bought a lathe to reform and I don't know its brand and type. Can anyone help me with this information?
    Attached photos
    thankful
    Celso Ari
    How about a high quality photograph of the tag? The one with the "Mercedes" symbol on it.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    That might well be useful. Also, photos of any other markings you can find. Measurements of the through-hole in the spindle, the socket in the tailstock, center height above the bed, distances between the V's of the bed, and the front and back edges of the flat ways, and just about anything else you can measure might also be useful.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    [QUOTE=WmRMeyers;145717].... Doesn't look like it has threading gears, or much provision for them,...

Yes it has threading capability, first of all it has a lead screw, and all those open gears at the back of the head, are where you change gears manually to get different threads.
    My first lathe was an old 7"x40" flat bed and didn't look too dissimilar to this lathe, you had to physically change the gears at the back to change the thread pitch.
    A fair bit of calculation went into that. I did eventually buy a book on centre lathe turning which contained all the formulas for for that, but my workshop was burgled and one of the things "they" stole was that book

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    It appears it has an ST:B on the badge. From what I can find, Storebro is a lathe manufacturer and the initials seem to point that way. While I have not been able to find one quite like that one or a another picture of the badge, I do know that they have been in business since the early 1900's and they are actually in the town of Storebro, Sweden. I only had a few minutes to search but there may be much more info if you can find related information about the lathe. I am from the South Bend, IN area and had the opportunity to bid on items from the factory almost a decade ago. A lot of old lathes (such as South Bend) used to stamp the model numbers on the far right end on the bed. Maybe there is more information there? The fact that there doesn't appear to be much information on that particular lathe is a good indication you might have a real gem! Hopefully this helps you a little.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

Andres E. Romero (Nov 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Hello Celso , i found this hope it helps .
    STB Precision Bench Lathe
    best regards Andrés from Bahia Blanca , Argentina.

Thanks
    Perhaps is the same maker as yours , anyway on this site there is a lot of info about machines . good Luck Andrés

Thanks

celsoari's Tools
    the nameplate that appears refers to an importer of machinery, which closed shortly after WWII. I believe it is a European-made lathe made for this importer. Other than the nameplate I found no other markings, not even serial numbers. I believe it must be from the 1930s, and be a south bend clone, with some modifications. The handles are different and the covers tooold bench lathe-20191105_093719%5B1%5D.jpg

Thread Information